iPhone 4 to 4S or iPad 1 to 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lara F, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I know a fair amount of MR members have probably done both upgrades this year. I'm curious which one you preferred the most and why?

I know this won't receive the most traffic in this board, but I figured it'd be best to post in a non-biased location. ;)

2. heyloo macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad2 that I upgraded at launch from an iPad1. I suppose you're kinda in a tricky spot, being that 4S has just released and next year we'd probably be seeing iPad3 and iPhone5.

I was personally planning on holding off on upgrading to an iPad2 and wait out for the iPad3; however when I made the jump, I never looked back. The upgrade was significant for me. I am able to 'use' the apps without crashing, for one. I also use my iPad2 heavily (when I travel, I just take my iPad2 and a keyboard in lieu of a laptop) so I may be a little more sensitive to these changes. :confused:

Both are great buys in my opinion. While I would love to get an iPhone 4S, I'm strapped for cash after purchasing a new MacBook Air, and my iPhone 4 does everything I need/want it to do (except for Siri, of course) right now, so I think I'm holding off until 5.

If I was in your shoes, I may be more inclined to buy an iPad2 than an iPhone4S. I don't know...personally, if I buy my iPhone 4S now, I'd have to sign up for another 2 years with AT&T, and if/when the iPhone 5 comes out next year...well, I would be paying another early upgrade penalty for it. As for the iPad2, however, there will still be a decent market for it even when the iPad3 rolls around (I sold my iPad1 at a good price and used the fund to pay for my iPad2), so my vote goes for the iPad2...by a very small margin.

It's a tough choice for sure ;) Best of luck!

3. madmaclove macrumors newbie

I agree hayloo. iPhone 4 does everything I need/want too. not thinking about 4s. I updated ios 5 so it feels like a new iPhone to me :) But excited about ipad3.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

ipad 2, at least you can see a difference there :D

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tried our Siri at my phone store and personally wasn't very impressed. Being out of the US means quite a few features don't really work. :( Probably won't be upgrading anytime soon.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

iPad 2 is a major upgrade. Iphone 4S is just a nice upgrade but but won't make a huge dent in potential productivity. I'm still on the iPhone 3GS and will upgrade next year to the iphone 5.

7. AA786 macrumors newbie

I agree with Vantage Point.
    The iPad 1 to 2 is a much bigger upgrade than the iPhone 4 to 4S. I've had both iPads and found the iPad 2 immediately felt like a big upgrade both in feel and performance.

8. ahbdesign macrumors member

Tricky tricky! but I'd vote for iPad 2! The 4S is nice yes but not a big enough jump over the 4, and with iOS 5, the 4 is a very good phone. So, go for iPad 2! ;)