Iphone 4 to 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaz0811, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Gaz0811 macrumors newbie

Just a quick question before I get my new iPhone, I've currently got a 4, can I still do a backup and then restore to the new phone or will that not work as they are on different OS and I'll have to start from scratch?

Thanks

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I don't know the answer, but darnnnnnnn nelly you are in for one heck of a phone improvement.

I suppose you could upgrade to iOS 8 before doing the restore.

3. Gaz0811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I know. My wife is going from the 3g ( the thing barely sends texts anymore and you can forget trying to ring someone) to a rose gold 6s!

4. Conan86 macrumors 6502

you can. congrats on the new phones. It's gonna be a hell of an upgrade for you and even more so for your wife.

5. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

They're still out in the wild?! :eek:

6. Gaz0811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Conan, they are getting delivered today but I'm at work so I'll have to pick them up tomorrow which is a bit frustrating but I can cope with my 4 for one more day.:)

7. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

3G>6S BOOM!

I bow to your wife's patience as a human being

8. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I'd be very excited to jump anything more than 2 generations myself xD

Anyways, being able to restore from older iOS is one thing, having a perfect restore is another.. I've always been able to restore from old OS (even from iOS 6 to iOS 8) without problem but the latest upgrade left me with partial Apps restored only. I wasn't sure what went wrong, I did multiple tries without success this time to have a full restore of Apps from iTunes so I gave up. My photos, WhatsApps history, iMessage history was restored correctly though.

if iTunes restore doesn't reinstall your Apps, you can try iCloud restore

9. Gaz0811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Picked up my phones last night, did a restore from back up and it all worked great. Wife is very happy with her new phone. Not really used force touch that much, I keep forgetting about it. I'm amazed at just how quick Touch ID is. Not surprisingly it's a massive upgrade on my 4 and I might have to get an Apple Watch now.

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

did you get these phones so that you could get an apple watch?

11. Gaz0811, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Gaz0811 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't planning to get one but I was talking with someone at work yesterday who's got one and I'm tempted now.

12. MoreHoney macrumors newbie

I had a flawless transition from 4 to 6s too. Was a little worried because there are so many iOS versions in between them and I kept reading about people having problems with fewer. So happy i was able to get up and running in about 15 minutes.

Enjoy your new phones.