iphone 4 to Italia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddresser23, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ddresser23 macrumors newbie

Any ideas for bringing my new perfectly working iphone 4 to Italy this next semester?? Ideally, I would have data, text, and calls, all for less than what ATT has to offer.

Some options to think about..
    Jailbreaking, Skype, Google Voice, etc.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions or ideas for this exciting trip!

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Have you considered getting a subscription in Italy?

Sure would be cheaper in day to day conversations etc. Unless all you do is international calls.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

4. nparmelee macrumors 6502

If you will have wifi access, use Facetime/Skype for calls and be careful to only use the phone over wifi. Haven't heard of a reliable unlock for a US iPhone 4 yet. 3G roaming is what will cost you the most from AT&T.

5. ddresser23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I will have wifi. My phone is jailbroken now, but I'm just unsure how the sim cards would work over there. I have realized data over 3G would cost a ton, so hopefully someone knows of an Italian data/text/call plan (on a microsim) or where I could find info on this because I can't find any.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

2€/Week with 250MB of traffic, prepaid. If you're out of traffic (you'll get a text message), you'll have to start a new period for 2€, or you pay 0.50€/1MB. It will be enabled by sending a free text message containing "TIMSMART ON" to 40916. This applies on top of all following stuff.

8 Cent/Minute to every mobile network and fixed lines in Italy, prepaid. You pay 16 Cent for every received call, though.
    Same thing, but costs 1€/Month and you call for 4 Cents/Minute.
    Again the same, but 16 Cents/Minute and you don't pay for received calls.
    If you need to call to the US, there's something for it, at 20 Cents/Minute, while paying 16 Cents/Minute on every Italian mobile/fixed and 16 Cents for a received call.

Add the topping with Unlimited free calls to TIM for 3€/Week, 60 SMS per week to any italian carrier for 2€/Week, Unlimited SMS to TIM for 1€/Week (Free for 6 month for new customers) and/or recharge your phone with 5 Cents/Minute on any received call for a 50Cents/Week fee.

TIM provides you with a MicroSIM as needed, we don't have carriers incompatible with the iPhone in Europe (Well, except for Nokias testing facilities and the 100MBit/s LTE test-network in Norway). In Italy, there are basically no mobile contracts (There are, they cost the same but noone uses them. A contract cost the same 8/16 Cents, same 8€/month for 1GB UMTS traffic (plus 25€ for the iPhone 4 32GB)), that's why the stuff is that cheap.

Why they charge you for received calls? Because they want you to recharge your phone regularly and if it's charged, you'll gonna use it. Minor rip-off.

To test the unlocked iPhone get any prepaid GSM card from an US-carrier other then AT&T. If it works, it works with TIM.