iPhone 4 to new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hols89, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hols89 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro and want to transfer all the data from my iPhone 4 to it. I've done File > Transfer Purchases from 'iPhone' but this doesn't include most of the songs or any photos/contacts etc on the iPhone. I'm worried about accidentally wiping my iPhone whilst messing about trying to do this, as I don't have it backed up anywhere anymore (due to my old laptop breaking) so grateful for any straightforward advice.

TIA

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Congrats on your MacBook Pro.

Here it is laid out for you. Everyone seems to think that iTunes is going to erase their devices...and it will, but only if you explicitly allow it to.

File Transfer Purchases gets your purchased items off. Other songs that you have on there that are not iTunes purchased content you'll need to use a 3rd party app to get those off. This is Apple's measure of anti-piracy. Google "music rescue" it's a free app that'll do that job for you.

Then...
    Plug in your phone and let it show up in iTunes. Don't allow it to sync. Hit cancel if any sync begins or it asks you right away to sync.

Open iPhoto and let it import your photos. That takes care of those.

Go back to iTunes, set your syncing options in your "Info" tab at the top after you've selected your phone at the left. Check the boxes for the info you want to sync. Click Apply in the bottom right. Then press Sync. When you do this you'll be prompted to "erase & sync" or "Merge" your info.

Obviously you want to "merge" here so your stuff doesn't go bye bye.

Good luck and I hope that is all straightforward enough for you.