iPhone 4 + TomTom Car Kit = SOL

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mastadj, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mastadj macrumors newbie

I hope its just a simple hardware/firmware update but it amazingly holds the new iPhone 4 just fine. When I plug it in, no luck and no recognition that the phone is docked or charging. I called up TomTom for support and they said right now nothing is being done and checked with this issue. They think it has do to with something they need apples permission on. Any other users had luck docking the Car Kit to their phone?

2. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Nope no luck here doesnt work, doesnt charge either.

But THE iphone 4 is so much better I can charge it via the lighter and have it shout directions at me while it is in a cup holder. I'm certainly not going to buy another worthless holder for 100 euros again. Yes it did work and yes it has one of the best suction cups, but it's just not worth 100 euros IMHO. there are other companies maki g nice holders for iPhones at a quarter of the price.

3. mastadj thread starter macrumors newbie

The holder actually worked wonders with my 3GS because of that extra GPS chip on it. The new iPhone seems to have a better chip in it because stand alone not on the car kit, it doesn't jump around as much. I would think they would just need to make a update for their tom tom car kit app and push a new firmware update to the adapter. I do agree that I would not buy it again. I would like the charging though..

4. mastadj thread starter macrumors newbie

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I was wondering about this. That is why I decided to hold off on a car mount. That trick with the foam is a great idea. I wonder what Tom Tom is going to do though. Maybe they will make some sort of adapter.

6. iae610 macrumors member

youtube and google have all the answers lol and no problem:D

7. wpc macrumors regular

I've used the suggested 'fix' and it works like a charm.

8. JoeCool71 macrumors member

9. moose205 macrumors newbie

yes the fix charges the phone but it doesn't use the speaker nor does it use the internal gps receiver in the cradle.

10. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Thanks for pointing this out ---and I was actually about to purchase one of those pieces of ****. Any news if they'll release an updated one? I only want it because the iPhone's speaker is just not impressive. I need louder.

11. prorideruk macrumors newbie

hi,

i have done the foam trick and got the dock charging the unit and opened the tomtom car toolkit app and it started locking onto satalites but when i took it out and re-docked i get a message saying this device is not optimized for this iphone and it wont register that the phone is docked. i've done a full restore and still no luck?

any thoughts?

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You could skip the multipart and get a small furniture pad.. same deal, all in one.

13. prorideruk macrumors newbie

14. chriswitt macrumors member

You have to re-pair your phone with the device. Mine works perfectly, and despite being really expensive, I think the tomtom kit is one of the better accessories I've purchased.

15. prorideruk macrumors newbie

I've never really paired before as I never needed the handsfree aspect. The unit didn't need to be paired on my 3G S ?

16. chriswitt macrumors member

It's pretty easy:
    Plug it into the tomtom, navigate to Bluetooth. If bluetooth is on, a device should be available. Tap it, and to pair, enter 5555 as the paring code. It should reconnect automatically from now on when you plug it in.

17. prorideruk macrumors newbie

Thanks, my problem has never been the pairing it's the fact the dock doesn't register as docked and give me Enhanced gps

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

There are small furniture pads meant to prevent scratching wood etc - they can be bought as a couple of small disks, longer strips, etc. They can be bought in a multipack, and probably would work great for this - they already have the adhesive backing (sticks really well).

19. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Do you have to still connect an auxiliary cable to your iPhone to play music or does the connection for the dock connector do that?