iPhone 4: TomTom carkit's external GPS antenna still necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mgpg89, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm getting an iPhone as soon as they're being released over here in Belgium and I've read several reports claiming the iPhone 4 GPS is way beter than the 3GS model and there's no need for the TT carkit's external GPS antenna anymore to improve the GPS signal/fix.

Can anyone with an actual iPhone 4 and TT carkit confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

2. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Based on how much more accurate the iPhone 4 is over my iPhone 3g, how much faster it picks up a signal, and the locations it picks up the signal where the 3g did not, I would say no. But I don't have any experience with the TomTom.

4. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

For the most part, tomtom app has been working very well without the tomtom cradle. Occasionally it is a little behind, but most of the time it is perfectly useable, and its performance is considerably better than the previous models. I always find though that the time it lets you down is when you are just approaching that complicated motorway junction, and one hesitation means miles and miles of driving round in circles. I would wait a little before buying the tomtom cradle though, because they are sure to remake it to fit the iphone 4. At the moment you have to stick a small (2mm) piece of foam on the activating switch for the thinner iphone 4 to sit properly in the cradle. I've also noticed mine getting very hot, but I don't know why this should be any different to my old phone.

In short... yes its fine, but the tomtom cradle is still better.

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I am using Copilot rather than TomTom software, but I am able to leave my iPhone 4 on the console between the driver and passenger seat of my car and it locks in GPS signals just fine without an external GPS antenna. Have never tried with the TT kit, but I see no need to actually get one now, either.

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I'd say deffinatly useable right out the box.

7. nerk69 macrumors newbie

From what I recall, the iPhone 4 uses the Broadcom BCM4750 GPS chip. The TomTom dock uses the SirfStarIII.

With everything I could find, they are very comparable chips with the BCM4750 performing a little better when it comes to signal tracking.

I would say their is no need to have a cradle with the separate GPS chip anymore. (IE The TomTom GO 750 LIVE also uses the BCM4750)

8. TheChasman macrumors newbie

My Range Rover has a heated windscreen and those are notorious for killing off GPS signals. My 940 Live! works brilliantly positioned near the drivers side window but often uses its inertial fallback system. I get the impression if I used the iPhone 4 that it might struggle without external assistance. I am waiting for an iPhone 4 specific cradle and antenna - 3rd party will do...

THINKS: There are a number of Bluetooth GPS units around - I could chuck one on the roof and forget about it... but do they work with the iPhone 4 or will it only use its internal GPS chip? Apple's :apple: relationship with Bluetooth devices has been a troubled one historically and I'm guessing this is no exception...