iPhone 4 Touch Inaccurate While Charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zephyr240, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Zephyr240 macrumors newbie

Anyone else experience this? While I charge my iPhone 4, the touch screen is very inaccurate. Such as when I go to unlock my screen if I try to hit 1, it will hit 5 or 3. If I swipe in my emails it will press the edit button or randomly choose an email to open on the list. It does this throughout any screen as if I'm pressing somewhere else. I haven't dropped the phone or any water damage. Anyone know if this is a 4.1 bug?:(

2. Limetonic macrumors newbie

Does it happen even if you don't touch the antenna?

3. Zephyr240 thread starter macrumors newbie

doesnt' seem to be antenna related. when I unplug the charger it seems fine though.

4. Dag56 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. It started last night. Never done it before? I wondering if its the temperature. There was about 8-9 Celsius and the phone was on my desk not in my pocket.

5. louisxvi macrumors newbie

Same issue- SUPER annoying

Really hoping Apple fixes this soon; my battery's been draining MUCH faster in the last week for some reason (no new programs, network, etc.), so I've been plugging it in when I'm at my desk. It's obnoxious, however, to have to unplug it to do anything on it, then plug it back in.

6. richardc1983, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

richardc1983 macrumors regular

7. poohbear19 macrumors regular

poohbear19

Its not just the iPhone 4. It's been doing that same thing on my IPhone 3G the first time I got it. When I charge it through the outlet it does that but not when I charge through the computer. Not only does it do that in Typing but it makes me tap something in the app store like as I am scrolling down through the apps it takes me to the updates page. Luckily it only does this when charging or else I would have thrown my phone across the street haha :p

8. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Just started noticing this when charging while travelling. Anyone know what the cause of this might be?

When the iPhone is charging, for example, a swipe to the right in the multitasking dock will literally close the multitasking dock, and randomly keyboard will pop up and start typing while you're clicking in different parts of the screen.

Issue does not occur when not plugged in.

9. richardc1983 macrumors regular

I found the issue to be the Emoji Keyboard, turn this off and it works fine.

However since updating to 4.3.1 I can use Emoji and it works fine, there was something in the update notes for the 4.3.1 software that stated a fault in the Emoji keyboard.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You are all using the original Apple charger, right?

11. ahmedco macrumors newbie

Same here

I have exactly the same issue!
    Why is that???:(
    I only have it when charging from outlet socket not from PC!

12. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Try a different socket. Not being sarcastic but I am wondering if there is a ground or common issue. If it only happens when you use certain outlets that are on the same circuit call an electrician

13. Longwolf macrumors newbie

Ditto....found a solution.

This happens on my 3Gs and my 4S in my office.

If the phone is hooked up to my speakers via my 3.5mm stereo cord, the issue goes away (so the additional ground the stereo cable fixes it).

If I am touching the metal bezel around the phone (thus grounding the phone), the issue goes away (not convenient if you use a case/cover).

This doesn't seem to happen at home or in my car, or elsewhere. So I figured it must be a ground issue with the outlets at my work, or the charger I am using. I've changed out the USB cord to the wall charger, and it still happens. Then I changed out the wall charger, and the problem went away. Figures, the wall USB charger was $1 POS China product. So I upgraded to a $4 POS China product, and the problem went away.

14. dgcaste macrumors member

There is a faulty ground on your setup, allowing a static or dynamic charge to build up on your device, and making the capacitive touch sensor go haywire. While it's charging, do you feel a slight buzzing when touching the phone's metal parts? If so, use a different plug or charging wire.