iPhone 4 tripod mount/adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by HDguru, Dec 20, 2010.

1. HDguru macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread because I felt compelled to share this product with everyone looking for a professional quality iPhone 4 tripod adapter/mount.

I used my iPhone 4 as a secondary video recording device during interviews and I've tried a bunch of different clamps, connectors and pseudo adapters... Not much luck and a lot of disappointments.

There's a great one I'm totally pleased with that can be found at www.kungl.com . Each one is a custom built and can be attached to any 1/4" thread which means any tripod head or pro-gear will work with it. And the best thing is it is better than my silicon bumper- truth is I leave it on all the time now and find myself snapping it in and out like a chain smoker flicking his BIC lighter. Ok the last thing I'm going to tell you is the ergonomic design makes talking on the phone even easier.

If you're thinking of using your iPhone 4 for video related activities (and you should) buy only this adapter directly from www.kungl.com you won't be disappointed.

Dieter

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

THanks for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for new mounting options. I'm not sure I would like this as my every day carry case. It doesn't look like a more solid option then say the Glif.

3. HDguru, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple prototype ?

Can you use the Glif in Portrait mode ? Can you turn it upside-down ? How comfortable are you putting this on a moving rig ? Personally mine iPhone fell out using the Glif and luckily bounced off my shoe- no harm done this time.

I agree the Kungl adapter was never designed to replace the conveniental silicon skins and bumpers so many of us use to either protect our phones or improve the reception but illbe honest with you it's so cool to play with as it has this unique snap mechanism so you're constantly flicking it in and out.
    I still have my silicone bumper but I noticed in my first week micro scratches on the backside where any debris or dust can collect and the constant movement in your pocket (that's where I throw mine) did scratch the glass with very fine glass like scratches whereas this doesn't happen with this mount because it doesn't touch the glass.
    I'd love to hear someone write a review on it, I'm just one guy that heard about it through a friend of a friend. Rumor has it that this is the prototype for a new Apple hard shell... Makes you wonder why this particular product hasn't really been marketed other than these early prototypes on an obscure webpage ?

D

4. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

Old prototype

Hey, I just noticed the model displayed on the kungl.com website is outdated- that's actually not the design they sent me which has no sharp edges and an ergo fit... Very odd but the version I have is very different. I'll take a photo of mine tomorrow and share it with everyone.

D

5. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

New iPhone 4 Prototype

This is the latest prototype I received...

Attached Files:

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Thanks for the photos. That does look much nicer then the pictured case on their website.

I don't own the Glif, basically I wouldn't even try it, since the phone is virtually unprotected and it doesn't look to be very solid to me.

Right now, for my camera mounting, I've been using either the OWLE Bubo, or a $6.00 mount from Ebay, which hold VERY tight, allows for an external case to be used, and fits any 1/4" thread mount.

This look promising though. I might need to check this out.

7. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

DSLR mobile apps

I find the OWLE Bubo too big. One of the reasons I switched to using my iPhone for HD videos was so I wouldn't have to carry extra gear with me on set.

The adapter from Kungl allows me to put it in my pocket. And it's replaced my rubber bumpers as a means of protection even though I didn't buy it for that purpose.

I think there will need to be some better apps that truely lock camera settings ie. Color and focus before HD recording from mobile devices really takes off. Currently ever app I've tested will re-focus and re-expose the iPhone when you restate the app.

D

8. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

From my pocket to my Tripod

Here's what I like about this tripod adapter. It slides from my pocket to my tripod just like that...

Attached Files:

9. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

10. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

And it supports custom Skins.

And it supports skins. In fact the adapter never touch the iPhone's glass.

Attached Files:

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

My issue is, I don't want to give up my Vulcan TPU case. I like the back glass protection, so for my needs, I really want a removable mount. PLUS, the orange is not my style. I REALLY wish it came in black, and then I would consider it without question.

Still, I may order this to check it out. Once it's in my hands, I may feel differently about it.

12. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool case

That Vulcan case looks very cool.

Do you have issues with micro scratches occuring on the back glass ie. Where debris collects between the iPhone and case ?

D

13. iamartimus macrumors 6502

I don't mind the orange, but will other colors be available any time soon? I bought one of those $5 cheapie mini tripod and mount, but that bugger is so tight that I can't use any case. Well, actually I can get it on with the SGP Neo EX, but it's really tight, and I'm afraid it will damage the case by just sliding it on and off.

I'm gonna be leaving on a trip for 2 weeks, so I just might order the Kungl when I get back. :D maybe.;)

14. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

None at all. The case is really snug, and even when I remove it to clean the back, there's never any debris. I'm really happy with the case.

15. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope so- I think black would be very appealing but I don't mind the orange either. It does make it very easier to find my iPhone in a room of black electronics :)

D

16. Timpaty, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Timpaty macrumors newbie

there is also a good tripod made by gorillapod called gorillamobile and you get a case you put your iphone in that clips into the tripod

you also get a normal tripod clip you can attach to your camera and two adhesive clips

quite cheap at £15/$25

i have the 3GS version but they also do a iPhone 4 version

17. iFan2011 macrumors newbie

Yet another tripod stand

Found this from a friend's facebook:

http://snapmountforiphone.com/

Looks cool, looks alot more secure and versatile than the Glif, but definitely bigger. Would be better if you needed something really secure. Lets you do both landscape and portrait and works as a stand. The pics show that you can use the volume buttons and 3.5mm jack and everything while on the tripod, which is a lot better than a lot of other mounts. Seems like most mounts block one thing or another which this one doesn't. Worth a look at least!

18. HDguru thread starter macrumors newbie

"Touchless" iPhone 4 Pro Adapter

I just received the final design from kungl.com which is now in "black" polycarbanate and not bright orange.

It has a cool "touchless" feature that I think is also unqiue that allows you to use your own protective skins or add your own 2D prints.

Anyway here's are two images from their website.

I like it :)

Attached Files:

19. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The kungl looks good!