iphone 4 turns off even if just charged. Replace the battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by britpoprule, Apr 6, 2015.

1. britpoprule, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

britpoprule macrumors member

Hello guys,

I have an iphone 4 and unfortunately sometimes it turns off automatically even if the energy percentage of the battery is still very high.

To turn it on I have to press the home button and the power button at the same time.

Do you think the battery is leaving me and needs to be replaced? Or maybe the problem is something else?

I've seen batteries on amazon and ebay. The price is very cheap and the reviews are mixed. I was looking for genuine ones but I don't seem to find them.

One more thing : is there any part that could be replaced with parts from the iphone 4s just to upgrade it and make it more efficient.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

2. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Hello. Sorry to hear about your phone issue. I suggest doing back-up through iTunes, and then restore the phone.

My iPhone 4 died, and didn't turn on for 3 days. And on 4th day, it miraculously turned on somehow... After restore, the phone has been working fine for 3 weeks (however, I haven't used it much since I got a new iPhone 5S).

I can't comment on new battery since no one around me has done it. And it will be impossible to upgrade parts (processor).

3. kolax macrumors G3

No.

You should replace the battery - where are you based? Replace Base in the UK is quite good.

4. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

That's what I've done. Seems to be working fine so far! Fingers crossed!

----------

Had a look on the website! Seems like a nice place to buy. Have you ever tried it? Is it all original material? Thanks

5. kolax macrumors G3

I got my iPhone 5 battery from there and it's been fine. Identical packaging. They list it as an OEM part - whether you believe them or not I've not had any issues with mine.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If theire is an Apple store near I would take your phone there and have them run diagnostics on it BEFORE replacing the battery. If you open the phone and replace the battery Apple will know and not want to do anything.

7. britpoprule thread starter macrumors member

You're talking in the lucky case the phone is still covered by guarantee.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If they see that someone else has opened the case they may not be willing to touch it.

9. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Personally every time I experienced an iPhone that only works when plugged in, it's the battery. Replace battery and 99.9% chance it will work great.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Given the iPhone 4 was first introduced nearly 5 years ago, you really think his is under warranty?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I never said it was under warranty. I did say that if Apple can detect that the phone was opened that they may decline to even touch it. Even out of warranty, Apple will test the phone to see if it is a battery problem or hardware problem. But I have seen the phone handed back to the user when they found the screws buggered froman unauthorized repair service.

But thanks for your history lesson:p

12. kolax macrumors G3

Batteries are consumables so with a 4-5 year old phone, a dead battery won't be covered by Apple unless there was a recall, which there hasn't.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You still is the point. Apple will not ever look at the phone if they see it was tempered with. I never said it would be covered under warranty.

Thanks for you little battery lesson!