iPhone 4 UK Apple Store Observations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emkwan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Hey ppl.

Hope and trust you guys are well.

Just a weird observation as I spent an afternoon at the flagship Apple store on Regents street in Central London.

I walked around the many iphone 4 display units that were there and so a variety of networks. I was also walking around testing the antenna attenuation issues. What surprised me most was all the handsets that had three mobile did not seem to have any ofnthe antenna issues.

I must have tested a solid 4 handsets that had three sims in there. The others that I did test ( Orange and o2) seemed to have antenna issues.

Are there any users that have an iphone 4 on the three network?

Also what type of connections and signals are you guys getting

Chao :)

2. sparkie1984 macrumors 68020

i dont know anything about networks but is it possible, 3 use a better frequency thats less prone to interference from us?

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Or it could simply be that 3's coverage in that area is superb.

4. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

But its odd though. I tested thourghly. The bars didn't even drop by one!

There was one handset that did. If this is the case I'm most impressed and may consider the iPhone4 on 3 network. But real question is any UK 3 mobile users here can confirm service?

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

That's odd.

I've been in both the Aberdeen, and obviously the Glasgow store numerous times, and all the iPhone's on display have always had WiFi only set up on them.

I was told that it's the store "policy" not to have cellular data set up on any demo devices.

Either way, the antenna "issue" is circumstantial on the signal in the area you're in. At home, on O2, I get three bars and GPRS and can replicate the antenna issue. In the City Centre and even in the local town where I live on the outskirts of the City Centre, I get five bars on 3G and cannot replicate the issue no matter how hard I grip that bottom left corner.

6. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

I turned off the wifi on the devices and tried over the cellular network and the speed was good too.

7. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Hmmm wet to the Leicester apple store today and noticed the iPhones with three mobile sims had low bar signal before even picking up. Hmmmm not sure of it's worth sticking with o2 or moving to three now.

8. vitaminz macrumors member

I'm on 3, and I still _sort of_ have the antenna issue. The bars drop from 5 bars to 1 when held in the death grip, but data speed or call quality doesn't seem to suffer at all.

9. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Dude thanks for the update. That's y I luv these forums the community is great lol

Hey where in the UK r u based? Also any chance of a speed test screen shot with the phone in death grip ?

Thnaks inn advance.

Btw which tariff r u on?