Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killahbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Hi all,
I bought an iPhone 4 that I was told was factory unlocked off Apple. When purchasing I was shown it working with an orange sim and a T-mobile sim.

When I got home I got my Three sim up and was given an "invalid sim" message and thought it may have been because I cut the sim down too much so I tried again with a T-Mobile PAYG sim that have - that worked

A PAYG Tesco sim gave me "invalid sim" when I cut it down too.

I'm guessing
1. I have been stupid because Orange and T-Mobile are now one network, meaning a sim card from one network will work a phone from the other and vice versa.
2. I'm butchering sim cards and need to get a 'proper' micro sim from a store.

I know it is scenario 1 but was hoping for someone to tell me different.

Oh it's on 4.0.2 so I can't JB it to allow my Three UK sim to work on it.

DOH!

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
where did you buy the handset? direct from apple? direct from apple on contract? from a network?

also are you cutting sim cards correctly?

killahbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
bought from a guy off gumtree.
I've cut 3 sim cards: Tesco PAYG, Three Contract and T-Mobile PAYG
and only the T-mobile one has worked - the others have said 'Sim Failed' or 'Invalid Sim'

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
theres your problem it was bought off gumtree lol on gumtree people will say anything to make a sale.... unfortunately you been had on that aspect of things.

what firmware is on the phone?

killahbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
It's currently on 4.0.1 so i'm eagerly awaiting the release of a Green lethal liquid. Hopefully will be released within the next few days

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
good struff your on 4.0.1 easy, open safari on your iphone go to jailbreakme.com slide to jailbreak...... let it do it's thing an it will eventually pop a message up about it being done and walla your jailbroken... now exit to homescreen, now all you need to do is install ultrasn0w (thats a number zero not a letter o) and your unlocked and can use any sim

killahbad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah, I have 4.0.2 - I've been search the net so long 4.0.1 is stuck in my head from wishing I had that version.

Greenpoison is due soon so I shouldn't need to sell to try an recoup the rip off.
Thanks for the help dude.

Anyone else got an Orange or T-mobile iPhone 4 and tried a sim from the other of the 2 networks? Does it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.