iPhone 4 UK - Which network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubuntu, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

I am currently with O2 and have quite liked them although coverage is a bit of an issue.

So now I'm looking at Vodafone and Orange (mainly because they tend to have the better data allowances) and wondered what you would recommend? I've never been on Orange and only had one phone on Vodafone so my experience is limited.

One reason I am leaving O2 is the data allowance of 500mb - apparently in place to help ease the congestion. Yet at the same time they'll happily charge you £5 for a bolt on for more data? Seems like a nasty way to deal with the issue.

One more thing - is there a way to check on the O2 website for data use? I can check messages/calls but not data it seems. I ask because 500mb might just be enough for me but I doubt it.

Regards,
    Ubuntu.

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

You can check on the phone itself:
    Go to Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Network Data.

Just make sure to reset it every month.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm going with Vodafone, but buying a Sim Free iPhone, and a sim only contract. Best 3G coverage, and i'm sure 1Gb a month is enough for me.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Doesn't O2 simplicity do a 2GB data? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm on PAYG on O2.

5. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

I'm going to stay on Orange and upgrade to iPhone 4 (from my terrible Blackberry Bold 9000). I was tempted by 3's vastly superior offers but some little s*** at the 3 store annoyed me when he was rude to me and tried to sell me the HTC Desire when all I wanted to know was when I could buy iPhone 4 directly from their store.

6. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Don't go with Vodafone! They're annoying, hang up on you when you talk to them and do not listen to the customer at all!...

I've had the worst exp with them... EVER:(

7. iFanboy Guest

Err, definately go with Vodafone.

Their customer service is rubbish, your bills will all be incorrect, but their network is absolutely superb.

Since I will be using their network more than i'll be calling customer service, vodafone really are the only way to go.

The alternative is O2. Best customer service ever, but their network was built with daisy chained apple newtons. Dropped calls will be the norm, and internet browsing will have 50% uptime, and for 50% of that time it will be painful.

Orange and T-Mobile? Um, LOL. Seriously, go with Vodafone.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've been with O2 for the past 3 years...currently on Simplicity.. when i got my iPhone 4 I contemplated switching to vodafone as a first option, but they were too slow to respond to any queries i had, so have now opted for Three UK... £15 per month micro sim 30 day rolling contract... obviously if they are crap, then i will def make the switch to vodafone on their sim only plan, although it's £10 per month more expensive!

In my experience, avoid Orange.. was with them for 10+ years and they didn't give a rats ass about you unless you was a new customer.

I know Three have poor CS, but I'm willing to give them a go for a month or 2 :D

9. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

Im on the O2 simpicity, where I pay £15 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data...
    Cant really see myself changing, so I think i will buy the Iphone 4 out right from apple... But Im in no rush and see how this issue with the service problems will play out.....

10. akeemD macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of going with Tesco Mobile as the contract is the cheapest by far and only 12 months (compared to 18/24 months which other networks are offering). Either that, or I'll get it on PAYG and then get a sim-free contract, but then it works out more than the former contract with Tesco.

11. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I am moving from O2 to Vodafone. I agree that the customer service is diabolical but then the network and data speeds are much better and more reliable. That wins it for me.

12. telco*engineer macrumors member

am with T Mobile have been with voda previously and vodaphone and t mobile have crap customer service from my experience.

13. brightlights macrumors regular

Go to My O2, view previous bills, and you can find how much data you've been using. Alternatively call the retentions line on 2302 and tell them you're worried, they'll go through old bills with you and tell you how much data you use.

For the record, I use under 250mb a month with a lot of internet access and streaming radio. I actually like O2, so I'm staying put :)

14. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi just thought I would chip in here as well.
    I am currently on O2 and phoned to check monthly data usage (turns out I use about 1GB a month!) they didnt really do an awful lot to keep me.

I checked out vodafone but had three dealings with their customer service, all contradicted each other and the last call was to someone so arrogant I got really angry with him (plus he said things that werent true).

I'm quite demanding, I expect a good package (which three and voda do to match my needs) but I expect good 3G network coverage (As i travel the whole UK) and then good CS in that order
    So far from my own investigations I have discovered:
    Voda - good deals, network (dont know for 3G), customer service atrocious

Three - good deals, best network coverage (according to their maps and the OFCOM maps that are a year and a half out of date) but atrocious customer service (I was on them years ago and had the issue of cancelling my contract ie I couldnt!)

I just want someone to come up with a reasonable compromise! O2 customer service has always been great but I must have phoned them only 10 times in last 10 years. I expected better from Vodafone to be honest, I even posted on their facebook page and someone responded to say they would help and when I sent all the details-----nothing!)

someone tell me what to do!!!!

15. revs macrumors regular

I've had Vodafone, Orange and O2 in the past.

For customer service they all seem to be about the same. None of them are that good, but as long as you get case numbers and keep calm usually things are sorted.

O2 have been ok for the last 3 years with my iPhone - but the whole 500MB cap has annoyed me this time, and also the coverage hasnt been too good.

Decided that I will go with Vodafone for a change this year.

16. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Get the cheapest sim-free phone you can, and use giffgaff for your provider. It's the O2 network, and support is communutiy-led, but it's cheap. £10 for 300 minutes I think and truly unlimited data and texts. None of these stupid "unlimited" packs that have you limited to fair use of something that is worthless.

17. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

Try giffgaff there the only network to still have unlimited Internet. For £10 you get 100mins unlimited texts and Internet. Plus if you don't buy what they call a gooddy bag the prices are still very cheap, 4p text to any network, 8p min to any network, and free Internet till the end of June, then only 50p day for upto 50mb.

If anybody orders a sim plaese but 'davidhawkins' in the who were you send here box, thanks

18. hippyharry macrumors regular

Ha! So you can grab the 500 points for recommending them?

Ive transfering to Giffgaff soon. Already got my sim setup and the girlfriend is just moving to them as well.

£10 a month for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet with no Fair Use Policy either.

They are like the Simplicity tariffs but running on PAYG.

19. Bratboy macrumors member

I used to be on Vodafone... and much as has been reported above, their CS are really atrocious. They have no sense of customer loyalty, and their CS staff can be quite rude. O2's on the other hand have been brilliant. Can't comment on Orange. As for 3, flatmate used to be with them, and he had to wait for over an hour to get through to anyone. (take that how you want to)

As for Coverage... seems that Voda and Orange seem to be quite good. Was told a couple of years back when I popped into a 3 shop looking at new phone/contracts that they apparently piggyback on the O2 masts where they themselves don't have coverage (not sure if that's accurate, but that's what the shopgirl told me).

What I will raise with Vodafone, is that they're synomymous with nickel and diming... eg, they will charge you actual talk time for retrieving Voice Mail. Has been the case, and I still believe it to be. So consider that when looking at contracts and mins, as well as data.

Part of the reason I opted to move to O2 from Vodafone was VF's crap CS, rudeness, and cost. Since moving, have noticed my bills in the £40 range as opposed to before where it used to avg. £80-90.

20. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I'm with T-Mobile at present because I get full 3.5G at my home, work and almost every where I go. I also get F&F 50% discount which keeps me fairly loyal to their network. They are still to release the iPhone 4 (I'm due my upgrade from the 4th July) but if they don't offer me what I want then that leaves everything open for Tesco, 3, Orange or Vodafone (we get poor O2 signal where I live and work, so there is no point in considering them). I guess the choice of Network is really down to each individual, some people will pick the network based on value for money tariffs others will base their choice around customer service and most will base their choice on what reception they get during every day life. Personally I think you need to look at all of the different factors and don't just settle because other people think that network is the "best".

21. scalest macrumors member

I'm on O2 Simplicity but have ordered a SIM from Three to give their £15 SIM-only plan a go.

Vodaphone seem to be highly recommended - do they charge extra for tethering on their £20 SIM-only plan?

22. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

I'll be going with giffgaff, but you can stick your points.

23. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

OK, I will. I am currently with 3, and any time I've needed to contact CS, I've got through quickly and been dealt with promptly and professionally. I guess your flatmate just got unlucky eh? Don't judge a provider just because somebody told you they have crap CS - most people on the internet and forums just copy what others say anyway because they can't think for themselves - hence why they probably joined in the first place :rolleyes:

24. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Yeah, partly for this reason, is there any article/blogpost from a reputable source comparing the major UK networks for speed/coverage/customer service etc...? Thanks :D

25. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

giffgaff has only got inclusive free internet until end of June 2010, after which you have to pay. Also, no where on there site do they mention WiFi so I'm guess you'll have to pay to use WiFi hotspots which are included in iPhone plans.