iPhone 4 UK, Will It Be Unlocked?... Vodafone & O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nintendolinky, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Hey all, My dad is due an upgrade and inst bothered about his phone, so I have told him to wait and I will upgrade it to the new iPhone on the 24th. However He is with Vodafone & I am with O2, what I would like to know is if I put my current iPhone sim cut to micro size, will it work in the Vodafone iPhone or will it need unlocking. Thanks.

2. johnrs macrumors 6502a

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Most likely to be locked, however, Vodafone might make them unlockable either for free or for a small charge.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you buy it from apple it should be unlocked, it just locks on activation.

5. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I'm genuinely not sure quite what the two parts I've bolded actually mean in relation to the iPhone (as opposed to say a Nokia or SE which I'd imagine the networks would be happy to send you for free on the basis of you just continuing a pay-monthly contract).

Are you saying you're hoping to pay the subsidised price of an iPhone4 (around £200 perhaps) and also sign your dad up to a 24 month iPhone contract which he will use with his current phone?

6. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

My Dad is due an upgrade at the end of this month but Vodafone said he can upgrade now. He wants to keep his number and currently pays 45 quid a month, he has an iPhone but is happy for me to have his upgrade, which we can get on the 24th.

7. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

So he'll be signing up for another contract (18 or 24 months) at £45/month , perhaps with the new data caps, while continuing to use his old iPhone?

If that's true, wouldn't he be better to drop down to a much cheaper tariff? (Using O2 as an example, if he went to the £20 simplicity tariff, over 18 months he'd be saving £450)?

I'm still not sure what "due an upgrade" actually means. How is it different from just being a new customer?

8. iSimon macrumors regular

I assume he means that his dad has simply reached the end of his minimum term and so is able to upgrade with no penalty. In terms of the iPhone it will no doubt be no different to being a new customer (I doubt any existing customer will be given a special discount on upgrading to the new iPhone).

A new iPhone on a renewed contract would definitely be network locked, and I'm not sure if Vodafone will offer an official unlock for the iPhone? As far as I know O2 are the only ones offering official iPhone unlocks.

I'm not sure how his dad can be due an upgrade on Vodafone though if he's using an iPhone - I thought Vodafone only got the iPhone less than a year ago, and do they even do 12 month tariffs for it?

9. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

So does anyone know if they are actually locked if you buy them subsidised on contract? I can't find out as I don't have any other micro sims.

10. sananda macrumors 68020

This idea's a bit mean, isn't it? Daddy could pay way less every month if he doesn't upgrade to an iPhone which he just gives away.

11. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

hahaaha harsh :p

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't. It remains unlocked, and you are free to swap providers at any tme simply by replacing the SIM card.

13. Raikun macrumors regular

Many people providing misinformation in this thread.

If you buy thep hone sim free it is unlocked

if you buy it on contract it is locked but O2 will unlock it in a few months once you fill out an online form (after the launch period) and vodafone/orange haven't announced what they will do yet but it's likely they will do something similar.

14. timmyboi macrumors newbie

15. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

If you buy the phone from an Apple store/Online - it is SIM unlocked and will remain that way. You may swap SIMs as much as you want and it will still remain unlocked. If you get a phone from any UK network, it is then locked to that network. 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Tesco & Vodafone ALL lock the device to their network. ALL of those networks however provide an official unlock - all EXCEPT Vodafone. The official unlocks vary from a few months to 12 months into the contract etc.

So if your dad gets an iPhone 4 - unless you move to Vodafone too, there will be no way for you to use it officially as they are not unlocking at this time. Your only choice might be to jailbreak it an unlock it that way but that will be dependent on the firmware and waiting for the unlock to be released via Cydia.

16. molala macrumors 6502a

Agree with a previous poster who said if your dad doesn't want a new phone, it's better for him to go to a sim-only plan. He'll save a lot of money. Then it's better for you to go on a contract with O2 or buy an unlocked phone from Apple.

17. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Get the phone and sell it on eBay unopened.
    Then buy a o2 iphone