iPhone 4 + Universal Dock w/ Adapter losing connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Noren, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Noren macrumors newbie

Not wanting to purchase yet another iPhone model-specific dock for my new iPhone 4, I decided to purchase the Apple Universal Dock and the iPhone 4 Dock Adapters. The adapters just came in from China and I setup and attached the Universal Dock to my computer. Everything looked like it was perfect, however, shortly after I noticed that even slightly brushing the iPhone 4 will result in a drop of the data and power connection. That is, the iPhone 4 will disappear from iTunes like it was unplugged and the sound of a charger being attached will play like it was just plugged up. I am not pressing the home button or the power/lock button (although it happens with those too), but merely *brushing* against the iPhone. This does not occur with when I plug the very same USB Dock cable into the iPhone 4 directly so I believe it is the Universal Dock causing the problem. The iPhone 4 sits fairly secure in the Universal Dock. It isn't a solid as my 3GS was in its model-specific dock, but it certainly isn't so loose that you would think the connection would break.

My initial Google search turned up nothing. I have not contacted Apple or used the Apple Discussion Forums yet. I tend to get better information on here anyway so I came here first.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone come across a solution?

2. nelly41 macrumors regular

While, I dont have the universal dock, I do have the Griffin Simplifi which uses many different dock adapters. I haven't had the chance to pick up a iphone 4 dock, but I know what you're talking about with the lost of connection. I used the iphone 1st gen dock adapter, although its a bit loose, it looses the connection as well. I've used this adapter with my 3gs and havent had any problems. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the weight of the phone itself, maybe being a little top heavy because it feels like it leans back too much. I'm gonna have to get me a dock adapter this weekend or something.

3. Noren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, nelly41.

After playing around with the Universal Dock more tonight, I am tending to agree with you. When I do manage to insert it in such a way that it maintains a stable connection, pressing near the bottom of the iPhone (like the home button) does not break the connection. It's only when I press near the top (power/lock button) that the connection breaks. However, I have noticed that it would randomly happen even when I thought I had a solid connection and the Universal Dock is on the clear other side of my desk. It would rapidly switch between plugged and unplugged with no touch whatsoever.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the Universal Dock thus far. I'm hoping to gather a few more personal experiences from other users before I conclude my Universal Dock isn't worth keeping and send it back.