iphone 4 unlimited plan help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pandalover826, Aug 10, 2010.

1. pandalover826 macrumors newbie

hey all im still a little unsure on how this unlimited plan for iphone 4 works. Im thinkin about buyin an iphone 4 for my bday but im think im going to need the unlimited data plan. So would it work if i put unlimited data plan on my current phone and then when i buy the iphone 4 will that have the unlimited data plan. any help appreciated!!!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's not available unless you already have it. :cool:

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

There have been people on here who did get it, if you do a search, you should find a few threads on this subject. Sorry, I would post one for you, but I am at work right now, and don't have the time.

4. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have seen the other threads but they still make me unsure about my question, because it says u should start with an iphone but i want to start with my current phone then put the unlimited plan on iphone 4

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Unlimited Plan is no longer offered. I believe only way is to get Original iPhone and activate it with the plan. And then you can get unlimited plan with iPhone 4. Other than that, there isn't a way. If you believe there is another way, then you can keep looking.

6. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i would have to acquire an earlier iphone and get an unlimited data plan for that but i thought you cant get unlimited data plans anymore?

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think its worth the trouble. You may wish to consider another phone/carrier that still offers an unlimited plan.

I was lucky and able to get my unlimited plan *back* after I switched away from AT&T for a week. When I returned I should have only been able to get the 2GB or 200mb plan, but surprisingly they re-applied it after I casually asked. This was after another part of my account had been bungled pretty badly though, and I think they gave it to me as a customer service gift.

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I know people have managed to trick AT&T into giving them unlmited plans but frankly I'd be paranoid. Isn't it possible that AT&T could run a query for new customers that have unlimited plans and mass cancel them or switch them to 2GB?

10. farmermac macrumors 6502a

You're not breaking any rules.

Besides, the worst that happens in your scenario is you would go back to your old plan so you have nothing to lose.

11. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

can i get the unlimited plan for the iphone 3g now and switch the plan to iphone 4 or i need to do the other instructions

12. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

You have to get the 2G iPhone, not the 3G or 3GS.

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

They could also charge you a few more activation/upgrade fees :cool:

To the OP: There are no direct ways of getting the unlimited plan anymore but a few forum posters have tried circumventing this problem through a loophole. Results seem to vary greatly so don't bank on getting an unlimited plan, but it's supposedly possible.

14. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i would either have to try the loophole thing or just deal with the 2gb.

p.s. how much would 2gb give me to do?
    ill probably be streaming youtube videos, checking email, surfing the web, facebook uploading and probably be goin on cydia and getting stuff from their?

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It sounds like you'll need <1 GB

16. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i could i tell how many mbs am i getting from doing these things and also if i have wifi enabled at my house, would i be able to use the wifi and save my
    3g data use so i could have more 3g data for when im away at home?

17. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It also depends on how much of those stuff you do. I am consistently at 4-5gigs a month. I surf the web, check emails upload photos, and play games (no video or audio streaming at all).

18. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

In what scenario would you not be able to use your own WiFi?

19. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

There is no human way possible you use 4-5 gigs of data a month without tethering, streaming, or downloading music.

I'm sure someone can do the math but I would guess it would take millions of website visits in order to hit that kind of use.

I stream Pandora for 2 hours per day (to and from work) use my phone for work emails and surf pretty heavy and I haven't gone over 600mb ever.

20. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Easy.

Get a dumphone (like a Razr) or iPhone 2G.
    Transfer your line to it
    Activate unlmited dumbphone data or 2G data.
    Replace SIM back in iPhone 4

In a few hours you'll get a text saying they've changed your data plan. It's a loophole in their automated system. Cheers, you now have unlimited data.

You need to use the auto-switch system or else the CS rep will see when you signed up and not give you unlimited data.

21. pandalover826 thread starter macrumors newbie

wats the auto-switch system

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd like a better breakdown of how many pics you upload and your usage. I use 4-5GB a month also, but most of it from streaming.

23. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

That is some pretty insane photo uploading. The only time I reached 4-5gigs is when I leave Pandora on all day for the whole month...

24. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

1) I have 3 email accounts pushed.
    2) The iPhone is my primary/only camera and I upload videos and pictures to my MobileMe, Flickr, and FB account as well as email a copy to myself and to friends.
    3) I check and download all applications and updates directly on the phone. (I have a couple of hundred applications.)
    4) I'm on the web every 15 minutes-1 hour 18 hours a day, checking news, twitter, etc etc. etc.
    5) I log onto several games that require internet connection. I'm not sure how much that uses, really.

It's safe to say that I do use my phone.....A LOT.

25. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I work for AT&T. If you didn't already have it it's impossible to get it added in a store. I'm not sure if the iphone2g plan someone posted earlier works or not. I feel like it wouldn't because even people with the unlimited 2g data were NOT allowed to switch to unlimited 3g data because the features were completely different and cost a different price (trust me this pissed people off on launch date) and AT&T caught onto that really quickly (and what I mean is if someone had a iphone2g on unlimited and came in to upgrade to ANY iphone after the unlimited cutoff date our system WOULDN'T allow it to happen) My only theory of how to do it is to call into customer service and bitch about leaving AT&T and see if they'll add it to keep you as a customer, and if not keep trying, sometimes you can get things accomplished if you talk to the right person. but DO NOT try this in a store, we don't have authority to override it and at&t employee's literally have NO way to add it, because it doesn't show up anymore for customers who never had it. hope this helps!!