iPhone 4 Unlock/Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hasty1991, Dec 17, 2011.

1. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a friend (seriously, a friend, not me - i'm happy with my 3gs!) who is trying to unlock their iPhone 4. They've bought something off the net claiming to do it - they say it's jailbroken their phone but not unlocked it.

Do any of these pay for solutions work? If not, is it simplest just to return to the carrier to have it unlocked for their fee?

Thanks!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

you need to provide more details! what firmware? and Baseband and what he bought. IE Grevey Sim.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Totally concur with Labman, you did not provide enough information. Also, you are talking about asking carrier to unlock. If that the case, we want to know where does this phone originate from and who is the original carrier for it. If it comes from US and the carrier was AT&T, then they will not unlock it for you.

4. hasty1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Once I have access to detailed information, I'll post again.

We're talking about a carrier unlock in the UK, which in accordance with certain t+cs most will do.

5. labman, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

6. Seminoles macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone4 on AT&T on 5.0.1, am I able to buy the T-mobile sim card and Unlock it and use it on their network? I am done with AT&T and want to go with T-mobile and keep my iPhone.

Let me know.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

No! There is no unlock for 5.0.1 right now. No ETA!

8. hasty1991, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

hasty1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Think you might have let slip the answer already!

Have got the iPhone now. Installed TinyUmbrella and can see:

Device Model MC605B/A iPhone4
    Firmware: 5.0.1
    Baseband: 04.11.08-ICE_2_13

I think the phone is locked to o2, friend is looking to use a vodafone sim.
    Not activated at the moment.

Am I right in thinking that the only route is to pay o2 their unlocking fee?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the only way at the moment.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

See if O2 will unlock it that is the only option you can jb but not unlock even with blobs. Since baseband can't be downgraded. Grevy Sim is also not a option.

11. sjdigital macrumors regular

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Actully paying o2 is the best option since it can not be acidently undone.

13. couragexcrew macrumors newbie

Im also running into the same issue here. I live in Italy and bought a Iphone 4 from someone who just moved here from back in the states. They had service with ATT prior to moving here. Without having to much knowledge on the specifics with unlocking/jailbreaking I bought this phone thinking I would be able to handle it myself. Well turns out it had IOS 5.0.1 and 4.11.08 baseband. Needless to say it looks like im screwed. I just read somewhere that the new Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 is about to come out and fix more of the baseband issues, still no 4.11.08.. Why the hell is this baseband(4.11.08) seeming like its never gonna get unlocked?

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Congrats on your new ipod touch. In my opinion, I don't think there will be a software unlock coming soon for 04.11 baseband. The last sofware unlock on Iphone 4 wast the more than a year ago on 01.59 baseband. Apple is selling factory unlocked Iphone as well, so why hacker need to focus so much on unlocking Iphone.

Your best bet is to sell it and add additional money so you can get a factory unlock Iphone.

15. couragexcrew macrumors newbie

I saw somewhere that ultrasn0w 1.2.5 is gonna cover more basebands, so why not come out with a version that covers all of them. It seems like they are fixing all the basebands except for 4.11.08, i just wanna know if there is a specific reason that this firmware cant be unlocked.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because its not as simple as just covering more basebands or all basebands.
    There's gotta be exploits available on those baseband versions in order to unlock.
    If it was easy they would have done it a long time ago.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yep dev-team snaps there fingers to unlock basebands, easy as pie.:rolleyes:

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think they had never think about this, you should absolutely email them with this revolutionary idea. or even better, just go ahead and release the version you had coded.

Think about it like a marter key for a Hotel room, a master key manufacture today will open ALL locks installed up today, if you install a new (update) Lock tomorrow, that master key won't be able to open it, you will need a new "master" key to include the new locks.

19. couragexcrew macrumors newbie

Yea theres no reason to be cynical about this. Im asking a valid question. I admit that I dont know jack about jailbreaking/unlocking. I just was wondering if there is some reason why this baseband isnt being unlocked while others are, since the dev-team is still releasing new versions of ultrasn0w that cover basebands.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

It's not easy cracking IOS let alone baseband. Basically the dev-team is looking for a back door. Jailbreak IOS has about 700mb to find a way in. Baseband 1-2 lines of code. Musclenerd was very surprised to see the flaw in the 4s baseband. Apple runs a very tight OS this is why you don't see many viruses in any of Apples OS. As soon as the dev-team finds a exploit apple updates not only to stop jailbreakers but for security reasons. Comex found a major hole with the jailbreakme exploits part of the reason Apple wanted him. If they can find a jailbreak or unlock then we get it if not well we don't. This is why it's important not update til we are told it's ok. And until basebands can be preserved.

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I gave you simplest explanation i could came up with, sorry you didn't like it ;)