Iphone 4 unlock/jb newbie question, please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SilentLight, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SilentLight macrumors newbie

I will soon be getting an iphone4 through a friend to use on T mobile. I've been noticing that there are many companies selling one program solutions to both unlocking/jb them. The appeal seems to be that everything is reversible, warranty kept, etc.

Could some of the Iphone veterans here give me some advice on which program(s) to use to unlock/jb, and use for tethering on T mobile? Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

just jailbreak using jailbreakme.com (as long as the iphone isnt on 4.0.2). After that go into cydia and download Ultrasn0w.

Now, you prob want the att sim to activate the phone, then chop your tmobile sim to fit in the micro slot...

Should be gtg then...chime in if i missed something.

3. SilentLight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean using jb and Ultrasn0w is no different than using any of the "for sale" programs that do it all for you? Is it reversible in the case that I need warranty repair? So you're saying to set up the phone first under ATT, then jb/unlock?

Good tethering program to use with my macbook?

4. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

if you dont have a ATT sim then you will for sure need to activate it then JB/unlock. If you do it again, you will have to activate it using a ATT sim. Unless they come up with a way to restore to a "cooked" firmware..which i dont think is available for the iphone 4 yet.

I never used any of those services....though its soooooooo easy that i wouldnt pay for it. Trust me, its SUPER easy....dont pay for it. If your phone is activated right now, you can do all of this in about 2mins time...serious.

Yes its reversible. You can restore to a fresh phone, although atm, i think you going to have to restore to 4.0.2 if something goes wrong, which fixes the exploit that jailbreakme.com uses.

Many tethering programs out there, just pick one that fits you best...i was using PDAnet.

5. SilentLight thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone will have an att sim, which I can use to activate first if necessary. I think I am leaning towards doing it myself as well. It does seem pretty straightforward.

Is it better to cut my Tmobile sim or to buy one of the ebay micro sim's for tmobile? Could others comment on best practices? Especially using an iphon4 w/tmobile? thanks.