iPhone 4 unlock without updating iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RodChester, Sep 19, 2012.

1. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Hi there. I will be getting the new iPhone 5 this Friday and I am looking to sell my iPhone 4 on ebay. I want to sell it unlocked to help get the most money that I can. I sent my request in to AT&T for the unlock, but did not receive it until this evening after iOS 6 was already released. I want to be able to keep iOS 5.1.1 so jailbreaking is still an option for the buyer and apply the unlock.

From what I am reading I need to plug my iPhone into iTunes and restore it which will unlock the phone. However, since iOS6 is now out I am worried that unlocking my phone and updating to iOS6 will go hand in hand. So after all of that my real question is can I unlock my phone through iTunes while staying on iOS 5.1.1? Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can deactivate it by using redsnow and activate it again using itunes.
    If you're on stock 5.1.1 you can do an erase all to delete your stuff from it.

3. RodChester thread starter macrumors regular

RodChester

But won't iTunes force me to upgrade to iOS 6 when I do the restore?

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I'm trying to do the same thing with my 3GS... unlock from authorized AT&T unlock, but keep 5.1.1. iTunes wants to update the phone to iOS 6, which I do NOT want.

I'm still searching for the answer on how to do this.

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Update:

I checked the IMEI status websites, and they all said my iPhone was unlocked. I inserted an old prepaid O2-UK SIM that I used in my Android phone in England, and restarted the iPhone. It booted up, showed T-Mobile as my network, and shows O2 as my carrier in the Settings menu. I even got a notification of my remaining credit in British Pounds on the SIM, and a "Welcome to America, enjoy your trip" text!

Never restored in iTunes, nor saw a message on iTunes saying my iPhone is unlocked, but other SIM cards work, and I'm still on 5.1.1 with proper mapping. Soooo happy!

Cliff's Notes: Wait 24 hours after email from AT&T saying unlock is approved, and use a new SIM card. NO NEED TO RESTORE / NO NEED TO UPDATE TO iOS 6.

Also, my phone is not hacked nor jailbroken. I just skipped the restore in iTunes instructions.