iPhone 4 unlocked available after iPhone 5 launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

Do you think iPhone 4 will still be sold unlocked from Apple after iPhone 5 launches?

I'm thinking about buying the unlocked 4 (won't be able to buy one until the end of August) and pairing it with a PAYG plan to save money over the long-term.

It's damn-near $2,000 for 24 months of service with AT&T's least-expensive iPhone plan. Only $1,200 for the same amount of time with the PAYG plan. Of course, the trade-off is no data plan. But I have wifi wherever I frequently am located. Thoughts?

2. walie macrumors 6502a

in my experience, people without data plans on their smartphones always end up in situations where they need a data plan

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

For people who want an iPhone without a data plan, why not just get an iPod touch?

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I have a phone without a data plan. Wi-Fi is fine, and I'd rather not carry 2 devices.

5. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

On AT&T's website it states "smartphones on prepaid plans must purchase a data plan," something to that effect, would they not allow this seeing as I'd have an iPhone? I could always purchase the $5 for 10MB plan and turn data off unless I REALLY needed it and wifi was unavailable.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

iPhones have been available factory unlocked in my country (Canada) since the 3G. When the iPhone 4 came out, the 3Gs was still available for purchase, factory unlocked. To this very day it is still available unlocked, as well as the iPhone 4. I don't think they'll discontinue iPhone 4 factory unlocked sales in the USA after the next iPhone is released. In fact, I highly doubt it.

7. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! :D

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt they'll discontinue that, wouldn't mind purchasing the soon-to-be previous model.

9. icyfire macrumors 6502

Since the iPhone 5 is supposed to be combo GSM/CDMA, I have a strong feeling that at least the phones distributed by Verizon will be unlocked. ATT's might still be locked. It will be interesting to see how this plays out since it will be the first combo GSM/CDMA phone to be released by both Verizon and ATT.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

you don't need a unlocked phone to use PAYG on AT&T (aka GoPhone). If that's what you're gonna do, buy a used iphone 4, preferably from someone who is upgrading to the iphone 5 at a steep discount.

11. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would, but I'm on my parents' family plan and have to sell my iPhone 4 to pay my dad for the cancellation fee for my line, ~$250. I'm planning on getting the unlocked iPhone and going with H2O wireless aka AT&T. :p

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight.

You already have an iphone 4. You want to sell it (and get maybe 400-500), then spend $650+tax on another iphone 4 (unlocked), plus the ETF of 250?

Is your share of the family plan that much more than H2O?

9.99 + $15 = $25, right? vs. $50 for H20?

13. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I pay $30 for unlimited data and my share of the bill adds up to about $50. I'd rather just sell my phone for the cost of my line's ETF and be on my own and have the freedom to go with AT&T, T-Mobile or an MVNO whenever I choose.

I mostly talk + text and would like the unlimited aspect of H2O, I'm not much of a data hog, I have wifi at home, work and school if I need it. 250MB is more than enough. :)