iPhone 4 unlocked but only to UK carriers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bucknobs, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bucknobs macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I got my iphone 4 unlocked by O2 (UK) and now by syncing with itunes I can insert any UK sim carrier (works with all) But my big problem is I work abroad and the sim cards I try to use do not activate the carrier when syncing with iphones (not valid). Please is there any fix for this?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Are those SIM cards definitely active? They probably won't activate unless you're actually in the country the SIM card originated from and can get reception.

Once O2 unlocks it, you can use it on any compatible network in the world.

3. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 4 unlocked but only to UK carriers?

Hi,
    Yes the sim cards work perfectly well on my other phone right now this very minute. Actually I,m working in Tanzania and the sim cards I,m trying to use are Tanzanian Vodacom, Airtel and Tigo and all work in my Samsung.
    As I say in the UK this iphone 4 has no problem with any sim card? Does itunes syncing work differently in different world zones or although O2 unlocked me could it be :(it was only to the UK?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's not an 'O2 unlock' it's an unlocked iPhone. See it's either locked or unlocked the ONLY in between is jail breaking.

If SIM cards arnt working then it's something else.

5. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 4 unlocked but only to UK carriers?

If right now in Tanzania I put in my "UK voda sim card" in it goes straight to roaming using a Tanzanian carrier but that costs you a fortune! This is strange why in the UK it takes any card but here none from Tanzania?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Once your iPhone is unlocked, there is nothing to dictate who you can use it with.

Try activating your iPhone with your UK SIM card, then swapping out the SIM card (if you haven't already tried).

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I bought my iPhone 4 unlocked and used it on O2 until the iPhone 5 came out. When I went to sell it the guy in the shop tested it with an Orange sim. It wouldn't work. I was going home to contact apple when I saw an advert in another shop. Went in and they paid me £30 more. They had only just started buying iPhones (game) and it was clear the guy in the shop had no idea what to test. I could have sold them a bricked phone I reckon.

8. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    You have got me thinking now! Like I said it will work fine with any UK sim card in the UK BUT even there when I want to swop from one carrier to another carrier I have to sync with itunes to get it to change like from Voda to Orange? Should it do it without syncing on itunes?

9. kolax macrumors G3

You only need to use iTunes for the unlock process. Activation can be done without iTunes if you have the iPhone connected to WiFi.

Try this:

1. Activate in iTunes using the original SIM card
    2. Once the iPhone is showing the home screen, swap in the other SIM card.

10. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds a good idea! so I activate a UK sim card in intunes and when it activates I leave the cable connected (between the computer and the iphone) I leave the iphone switched on (powered up) then remove the UK sim and pop in the Tanzanian one! Is that it?

11. kolax macrumors G3

Yep.

12. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have just tried it by using an in use Tanzanian Vodacom sim and it gives me invalid sim?
    Thanks for trying but tell me one thing which I can not understand and that is why iTunes syncs with some sim carriers like all the ones from UK but none here in Tanzania could this be the problem that its just not set up to do it?

13. kolax macrumors G3

Invalid SIM would imply the iPhone can't read the SIM properly. Give the SIM slot a good blow incase there's dust in there, and check the SIM isn't dirty either. A different phone might read a dirty SIM card better.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4148

14. bucknobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Kilamite,
    I have the problem! it works in the UK but someone else late last night told me it must also have an EMAE block on it meaning it is still blocked to Africa sim carriers. A guy on another thread took my EMIE number and did it for free. This morning I connected to itunes with my Tanzanian sim and BINGO!
    I wish to thank you Kilamite and all others who contributed to this thread!

15. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I have a unlocked 3GS (02) and this worked fine when I was in Hong Kong.