Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martynov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Hey guys,

Got a friend whose stuck in a pretty bad situation. He is on t-mobile and has an iPhone 4 unlocked 4.01. and baseband of 1.59. After trying to erase all content and settings, the iPhone went into the same Apple Logo with the frozen loading circle.

He tried to restore the iPhone with 4.0.1 firmware BUT here is the error he gets:

"The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be restored at this time because the iphone software
update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable."

Any ideas on how he can get the iPhone back to 4.0.1 without destroying the unlocked feature or at least the band.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Using "Erase all data..." on a JB iphone will cause the phone to be stuck on connect to itunes screen.

As for your friends problem, he probably has his host file pointing away from Apple's server and/or security program blocking iTunes. Also, since Apple is only signing 4.3, that's the only version you can officially restore to. To restore to an older firmware, you need to have old SHSH files saved. Thus, if your friends want to restore to 4.0.1, does he have 4.0.1 SHSH saved?

martynov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Using "Erase all data..." on a JB iphone will cause the phone to be stuck on connect to itunes screen.

As for your friends problem, he probably has his host file pointing away from Apple's server and/or security program blocking iTunes. Also, since Apple is only signing 4.3, that's the only version you can officially restore to. To restore to an older firmware, you need to have old SHSH files saved. Thus, if your friends want to restore to 4.0.1, does he have 4.0.1 SHSH saved?

Ah that explains, its actually not stuck on the connect to itunes screen. It boots with the Apple logo and a loader moving. Although i can put into DFU mode.

Dont think he has it as far as i'm concerned, is there anyway to obtain those files and replace them? The iPhone before reset had the correct broadband of 1.59 and the firmware was 4.01.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Ah that explains, its actually not stuck on the connect to itunes screen. It boots with the Apple logo and a loader moving. Although i can put into DFU mode.

Dont think he has it as far as i'm concerned, is there anyway to obtain those files and replace them? The iPhone before reset had the correct broadband of 1.59 and the firmware was 4.01.

You can only obtain these files while Apple was sending them out. Right now, you can only get 4.3 SHSH files. To keep the 1.59 baseband, try Tinyumbrella or Pwnagetool, but I am not quite sure they have been updated to work with 4.3 firmware.

iPad 2nd Gen

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED

Pressing erase content on a jailbroken phone will cause it to go into a bootloop

martynov

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
You can only obtain these files while Apple was sending them out. Right now, you can only get 4.3 SHSH files. To keep the 1.59 baseband, try Tinyumbrella or Pwnagetool, but I am not quite sure they have been updated to work with 4.3 firmware.

Damn, this a tough one. So the only SHSHS files available are 4.3 but no idea if 4.3 is unlockable with baseband 1.59.

What exactly are these "blobs" and how do i go about getting them with tiny umberella.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Damn, this a tough one. So the only SHSHS files available are 4.3 but no idea if 4.3 is unlockable with baseband 1.59.

What exactly are these "blobs" and how do i go about getting them with tiny umberella.

Baseband 1.59 is unlockable. Problem is updating to 4.3 firmware without also updating the baseband. Normally, Pwnagetool and Tinyumbrella allows you to do this, but like I said, not sure if they have been updated to work with 4.3 firmware.

To save SHSH blobs with Tinyumbrella, connect iPhone to computer, run Tinyumbrella, make sure the phone is detected, and then, click on "Save my SHSH...". Tinyumbrella will start trying to save all the SHSH blobs you can. Once it's done, it will list all the blobs it was able to saved. What SHSH versions were saved is what yo can restore the phone to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.