iPhone 4 unlocking help for newbie please!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 01steven, Jun 18, 2011.

1. 01steven macrumors newbie

My wife and I both have jailbroken AT&T iPhone 4s.
    Mine is running iOS 4.1, modem firmware 02.10.04
    My wife's is running iOS 4.2.1, modem firmware 03.10.01
    I jailbroke them both using greenpois0n.

We are travelling to the UK for a few weeks this summer and would like to use our iPhone 4s there. We used to live there and still have accounts and SIM cards with one of the UK networks O2.

I'm slightly nervous at attempting to unlock the phones in case all doesn't go according to plan and things don't work the way they should.
    From what I've discovered, it looks like ultrasn0w is the tool to use.
    But looking at it in the Cydia store it says it's compatible with iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 (and other basebands for iPhone 3G/3GS).

Will this work on both our phones with their current configuration?
    Or do I need to upgrade both phones to iOS 4.3.3, re-jailbreak (greenp0ison?) and then unlock (will I then have 01.59.00)

Hoping someone out there can help me.
    Many thanks

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Neither of your phones can be software unlocked; the basebands are too high and cannot be downgraded. Your only option is the Gevey SIM; there are plenty of threads on that in this forum.

3. 0007776 Suspended

You can't downgrade the baseband so you are out of luck as far as a software unlock goes. You have two options, the one that will work is you could buy the gevey sim. I don't have personal experience with it but I've heard that it works in other threads. The other thing you could try that probably won't work is to restore it to factory settings so Apple can't tell that you jailbroke it and take it too Apple explain what you want to do and see if they are willing to unlock it. They just started selling officially unlocked phones so there is a small chance it would work.

4. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Sorry but both your phones cannot be unlocked. you need 1.59.00 which you cannot downgrade to.

5. 01steven thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Thanks for the lightning-fast responses.
    2. Couldn't you have had better news?!
    3. Will read up on Gevey SIM

:)

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, the good news is the Gevey is cheap and it does work for the most part. ;) But yeah, a lot of people have been waiting months on an unlock for those
    basebands.

I'm hoping Apple's new stance on selling unlocked phones in the US signals an eventual policy shift by AT&T, but for now, at least the Gevey is available for people in your situation.