iPhone 4 Unlocking Tips

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UrBoyTim, May 16, 2012.

1. UrBoyTim macrumors member

Hey guys so I'm looking to buy an iPhone 4 on Craigslist and the one's in my price range aren't unlocked and are almost all updated to 5.1 or 5.0.1 and I'm looking for ways around this.

I've been reading about how you can get it legitimately unlocked in the AT&T store, but how would I go about that if it's not my name on the contract with the iPhone? Any tips with using the AT&T route? Not really sure about this avenue... Does it even work with the new update?

Also, I've been doing some research and was wondering if, when I get this new iPhone, would downgrading to 4.x.x work like it does for the 3GS? I obviously wouldn't have any blobs saved or anything, but is there a way to use a custom IPSW for iOS4 that would change the baseband/make the phone unlockable via Ultrasn0w?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm just new to the iPhone 4 unlocking process, but I've been unlocking my 3GS's for a few years now; so I apologize for not knowing as much as I should.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot downgrade iPhone firmware to iOS4 or iOS5 without saved hashes.
    You can never downgrade the baseband.
    AT&T will only do IMEI unlocks now for existing customers and for a phone that is not in a current contract (or where the purchaser skipped out/defaulted on an AT&T contract). Be careful what you buy.

3. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response!

So, just to clarify, the person I buy from needs to still have service from ATT, but just not a contract for the iPhone itself? And can I just get the IMEI from them before purchase, then call ATT to verify that they can unlock it?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, AT&T unlocks for current customers only and the phone to be unlocked cannot have a current contract or defaulted contract.
    Surely you have a relative or friend who uses AT&T.

5. ya1950, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

ya1950 macrumors regular

I just unlocked two phones even though I am not a AT&T customer. Two of my friends who are not customers did the same. It may depend on the person you speak to when you call them.