(iPhone 4) Unresponsive home button

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blizeH, Jul 28, 2011.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

My home button has seemingly become quite unresponsive at times, but it feels like it's possibly a software issue? I have been running the buggy-as-hell ETX Capital app which could explain it, but something doesn't feel right, and it's so frustrating to press it a few times and nothing happens.

I bought my phone almost a year ago, so my warranty is almost up too (assuming you get a years free apple care?) hmmmm!

My main worry is that I'd take to the store (maybe a 2 hour round trip) and wouldn't be able to re-create the problem.

Any suggestions please? Thank you!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As with the many other posts on the forum with the exact same issue u won't know till u try!

3. comdex macrumors newbie

comdex

I dont know if that helps, but I had the same problem and send the phone for under warranty repair to Apple, after they got my phone I got a new replacement phone.

4. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks guys, I'm so tempted to take it to the nearest Apple store, but I've just been pressing the home button continuously and maybe only 1 in 20 presses didn't register :/ Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes it's fine.

Not sure what to dooooo... also just looked into when I purchased the phone, 2nd August - I'm screwed.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Restore and set up as new first. If that doesn't help, take it to the Apple store.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This.

Even if you can't recreate the problem you should get a replacement. Apple has very good customer service.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

call apple even though you have no phone support, explain you live far, describe the issue, let them attempt to tell you how to fix until it works/they decide to send you a shipping container (4 free!). Keep trying until you get a sympathetic person, dont be hesitant to call more than once! also ask to speak to there advisor if they are not being helpful.
    ~paul

8. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

blow some air into the button area and in the connector and that might loosed up debris. Or...you can take it back to the Apple store and they will probably give you a new one.

9. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all so much again for the replies guys, I've actually got an appointment this Tuesday - but now I'm worried!

100% of the time using my finger nail at the top and pressing the button, it won't register... but I also tried this on my friends 3 week old white iPhone and it was far less responsive than even mine!

I'm now thinking, yes my phone is a year old, but it's in pristine condition, the battery is okayish... so what if I swap my phone for one that's actually worse? ARgh! :/

10. rdsii64 macrumors regular

button doesn't work

I had the same thing happen to my phone. I didn't even have apple care and the apple store here in Temecula Ca. swapped it for a brand new one on the spot. I took it home, synched it and I was back to normal.

11. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! They actually give you a brand new one then?