Iphone 4 update problem after tinyumbrella

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dread, Mar 24, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Last time I tried to update my iphone 4 to 4.3 it kept getting the error that says it couldn't be signed despite the fact that I wasn't running tinyumbrella. I can't even find tinyumbrella in my list of programs to uninstall it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem before the next update. Last time I had to restore my phone using my wife's computer to get it functional.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

Did you change your hosts file to redirect itunes signature checking? Tiny umbrella doesn't do anything unless you tell it specifically to start listening by turning on its TLS server option. Otherwise it doesn't nothing

Check your hosts file on windows it should be: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc or on mac /etc/hosts. open it and see if it has gs.apple.com entry in there. If its listed, delete it and that should take care of the issue.

Also were you restoring original apple 4.3 ipsw file or the one that is custom for jailbreak?

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have deleted those files over and over on my windows 7 pc but they come back immediately even after saving the changes. I was just trying to update using itunes, no custom software or jailbreak. My phone just kept hanging in recovery mode with the same error. The only way I got it restored was using the other computer and then it worked no problem.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could have used TU to put back the stock iTunes redirects also.

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not sure what you mean.

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If you used Tiny's TSS server option, you can tell it to turn it off and it reverts the changes to your machine.

Are you deleting the hosts file, or you deleting that one line? If you delete that file, windows will either auto-restore or make a new one - it's a required file. You just want to edit out any references to gs.apple.com like was mentioned (delete the whole line included the ip address with it)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Download the latest TU. Open up TU, go to advanced and uncheck the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit".
    Then click apply changes and close TU.
    Then open iTunes and try it again.

8. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I will try that.

I am only deleting one line, but it's the only line in the file.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you use the Tinyumbrella method I showed you above you dont need to delete, edit or change anything.
    It will do it for you without any probs.

10. phreebsd macrumors regular

please note a reboot may be required to clear all the dns junk.
    ive tried restarting the program as well as flushing the DNS and ARP cache.
    only think that worked after modifying host file was to reboot.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

As the previous poster said open Tiny Umbrella go to advance and uncheck the box.

Tiny umbrella changes your host file without your knowledge.

Everytime you open and leave it open the host file changes, irrespective of what the host file setting in TU are set to in advance mode.

When you close Tiny umbrella if that box is checked it will leave the host file change that it made when it opened. If that box under advance mode is unchecked it will put your host file back to normal.

Do not mess with the host file just go to the source of the problem.