[iPhone 4] Upgrade 4.0.1 to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by VeeGee90, Sep 4, 2011.

1. VeeGee90 macrumors member

VeeGee90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi all,

I want to update my iPhone 4, currently on 4.0.1, to 4.2.1 or 4.3.3. I depend on ultrasnow, so i need to preserve the baseband (i have 1.59.00).

Can I make a custom firmware using penqge tool and upgrade with preserving my unlockable baseband? I have the SHSH blobs for 4.2.1 and for 4.3.3. Do I need to edit my hostsfile before updating?

Also, what is the best firmware to upgrade to? 4.2.1 or 4.3.3? Whitch is more stable?

Thanks in advance!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Create a custom 4.3.3 firmware, put the iPhone in pwned DFU mode and then shift+restore to the firmware with iTunes. Enjoy!

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'd recommend 4.2.1 if you use MMS. 4.3.3 is notorious for MMS/VVM errors with the 1.59 baseband. It's more of a nuisance than anything--you'll need to pop your SIM out then back in, sometimes multiple times, and you may need to restart ultrasn0w. But unless you NEED something that only 4.3.3 can provide, it's a bit of hassle for a small gain.

Search this forum for more info, there've been numerous posts on this.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's only if used on official carrier while maintaining an unlockable baseband and ultrasnow installed just for the correct bars display.
    The OP needs is unlocked to use on unofficial carrier.
    I'd suggest going up to 4.3.3 using pwnage to create a custom ipsw.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Hmm...I'd swear I've seen posts from unofficial carrier users as well. Probably mostly T-Mobile as we get a lot around here. But I defer to Applejuiced as I know he keeps an eye on these things!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well visual voicemail will never work on unofficial carriers anyway:) You will just get regural old school voicemail where you gotta dial in your pin each time etc...
    And MMS works, you just gotta have the correct apn settings and sometimes you might need a cydia hack.
    Tmobile MMS is a pain in general to setup and work right but its not just a 4.3.3 issue.

7. VeeGee90 thread starter macrumors member

VeeGee90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

But I do need to edit my hosts file if I want to upgrade to 4,2,1/4.3.3 right? What IP do I need to add? I saw that there are 2 different IP adresses.

So most of you prefer 4.2.1 over 4.3.3 for stability?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to use tiny umbrella's server for subbing the hash verification.
    Tiny redirects, if necessary.

9. VeeGee90 thread starter macrumors member

VeeGee90

I do prefer using PwnageTool because when done, it's already jailbroken and ready for me to install UltraSn0w :)