iphone 4 upgrade and activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by unhap, Oct 11, 2010.

1. unhap macrumors newbie

So here's the deal.

I'm on a family share plan and I got my iphone 3gs in August of last year. That means I can upgrade to an iphone 4 for 200$ next year in august I think or for 400$ now.

The plot thickens: my sister has a 3gs as well, and is eligible for a full on upgrade. She couldn't care less about an iphone 4 or her contract length.

If she gets the upgrade priced iphone 4 for 200$, will she be able to somehow use her old iphone 3gs and give me the iphone 4, which I could then activate or hacktivate using either my current sim which I would have to cut, or a new micro sim?

The real question here is how to get my sister back on her iphone 3gs after she goes into the store and upgrades to the 4.

Could I do this by buying the 4 off the apple website, and then just never having her activate it? Just jailbreak +hacktivate it on my end?

I read somewhere that microsims are tied to their hardware using ICCID to prevent people from using ipad sims in their phones, so I dont think (?) I could use one of those little micro-sim adapters.

...or even better, will att be totally ok with it if i just go in and say "hi i'd like to use her upgrade but put the iphone 4 on my number"

2. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

If i was you I would ask them but dont say its for you or anything. Just ask "what if.."
    I have done what you are trying to do with sprint before. I used my upgrade to get a friend a new phone. Only problem we ran into is that I had to be present when he was activating it, to say YES I AM giving him my phone, he did not steal it from me. They knew it was mine somehow. So he called me and i drove over there.
    Iphone with ATT now. moving to Europe in a month, and I can say "F..U.." to all of the American phone company BS. there you just buy a phone in a cellphone store. then go to a network provider store and buy a SIM from them, put it in and youre ready to go. Wish America had that while I lived here...

3. unhap thread starter macrumors newbie

You and me both, brother.