iPhone 4 upgrade help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chezza, Sep 13, 2010.

1. chezza macrumors member

Just came back from the O2 store with my new iPhone after owning a 3G. Plugged into iTunes and activated (although, still waiting for activation to happen after an hour).

When plugged into iTunes I couldn't restore from 3G backup because the iPhone was boxed with 4.0 and the 3G had 4.1, so had to do a clean satup. Got a alert message from iTunes saying I could restore to a backup after I had upgraded to 4.1, so I did.

Upgrade the iPhone 4 to 4.1 and restored to the latest 3G backup. All fine, except I don't have any of my apps i'd purchased, only the standard ones. How can I get them back?

2. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

You can download them again from the iTunes Store, without paying the fee again. You'll get a notice that it's free, if you already bought it.

3. chezza thread starter macrumors member

Thank you :)

Regarding the activation, could it be that i dont have a phone number asigned? I was told to use the O2 website (http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/) to transfer the number from the 3G to my 4, but didn't want to do that until the 4 was activated. Could this be why is hasn't. Should I transfer the number to the other SIM and risk my 3G stop working?

4. Lingham macrumors regular

Long as your still using the same itunes account just log in as normal, find the apps you had if you can remember them. click to download them as if you were about to pay for them and it will display something like "you have paid for this app before, do you want to download it again or update it" and if you say yes or ok or what ever it says it will download again for free

5. chezza thread starter macrumors member

Thank you to you both, that worked just fine :)

If anyone can help with the activation that would be great too :)

6. chezza thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've gone an swapped my SIM, as this page suggests you need cell coverage to activate. So, fingers crossed :)

7. chezza thread starter macrumors member

For anyone who came across the same scenario... it worked! :)