iPhone 4 Upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aero93, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Aero93 macrumors newbie

Hello good people of mac rumors,

I got an iphone 3gs october of last year. I am currently on a family plan with my mom and sister. I obviously am not available for upgrade, but my mom is. My question is, could my mom use her upgrade to get an iphone 4 and give it to me? Or can her upgrade only work with her number.
    Basically, i want to use her upgrade to get an iphone but keep my number. Is this possible?

Thanks

2. draz macrumors 6502a

She gets an upgrade. Gets the phone. You take the phone, put your SIM card in it (after you cut it down to size). Enjoy, your phone your same number.

Your mom might need to talk to the AT&T rep to tell her what is going on before the rep deactivates her old SIM card so she can continue to use her previous phone and number.

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Probably won't even have to trim his down to size - other people have mentioned doing this and having no trouble with AT&T. Apparently AT&T actually simply calls it an upgrade swap

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure, just watch this Youtube video from AT&T to see / hear the details of the "Upgrade Swap". Daniel uses an example where a Dad helps his son get the new iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=262Z5yrpYGs

source: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574#tab6

Dave

5. Aero93 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

I disagree with this advice. Considering that the OP is doing this within a Family Plan the upgrade swap is the option that makes sense.