iPhone 4 Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshelton, Jun 9, 2010.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I bought my 3GS in June 2009. My 2-year contract obviously expires in June 2011.

So I can extend my AT&T contract for 2 additional years, pay an $18 upgrade fee, and get the new 32GB iPhone for $299?

That sounds too good to be true, because I can sell my current 3GS for at least $500. I would be making money by getting the new iPhone.

Is this all correct?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds nearly correct, but are you sure you can get 500 bucks for your 3GS.
    Is it unlocked/jailbroke? You realize that everyone and their brother will be doing the same, thus the supply will go up driving down the price.

Also I was not aware that AT&T released the prices for the iPhone 4, so the 32GB one is going for 299.

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

FYI, I don't know if you'll be able to pull 500 bucks for your 3GS. I just sold my 16 gig 3GS jailbroken with an invisible shield and some jailbroken apps for 370 yesterday on ebay. After fees and stuff, I profit about 120 bucks after getting a new 16 gig iPhone 4 for 199.

So yes, it is possible to profit by doing this (I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this...unless they are completely attached to their phone), but I don't know if you'll be getting 500 dollars for it unless you sell it with some enticing extras

4. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure about the prices for the iPhone 4. I just assumed the price points would stay the same. You are right about the supply though.

I was just shocked a few months ago when I got $425 for a 32GB 3GS that had been dropped in water. It worked, but there was no warranty because the moisture sensors were triggered.

I figured if I could get $425 for that, I should be able to get at least that for a perfect condition 3GS with almost a full year warranty left.

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That was a few months ago, things are changing rapidly since more people are aware of the new iPhone.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hate to break the news to ya, but you will pay more for the iphone 4 than you think. On the updated site it says it will give you a discounted price. Not the full discount of the iphone. You'll most likely pay 80% of full retail for the new iPhone because you just got the 3gs iphone

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That may be the case, but with the higher ETFs you won't see iPhone 4s going for a low price. Right now on eBay you paying $900+. So to get $400-500 for a 32GB 3GS is very likely.