iphone 4 upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 error.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iToonz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. iToonz, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

iToonz macrumors member

Hi all I have been lurking around the forums for some time. This is my first post (yippie) :D. Here goes. I purchased an iphone 4 that was stuck in the recovery loop. The person i bought it from claimed that it was getting the error "The iPhone could not be restore. An unknown error occurred (-1)" When I first received the phone I hooked it up to iTunes and did a restore and it was successful. iOS 5.0.1 was installed. So i procceded to jailbreak. I used redsn0w and after installing the software it looked like it was successful but it wasnt. Wifi and bluetooth were greyed out and I could not see the IMEI or firmware number. I tried for hours thinking it was a bad saoftware install but still unsuccessful. So i then figured I will just restore back to factory so I hooked it up to iTunes and during the firmware install part of the restore it fails and i got the same error "The iPhone could not be restore. An unknown error occurred (-1)" . No matter what i try to restore now i keep on getting that. Any ideas?
    I just want to get back to Factory default.

P.S. Wifi and Bluetooth were working when i initially restore it via iTunes

2. macrevieweru macrumors newbie

macrevieweru

Try this

This is also my first post. I dont know but all I can suggest is try to hold down home and power button. Also you might wanna try to go to an apple store even though you tried to jailbreak it they are usually helpful.:apple:

3. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Sorry thats not an option for me. I dont live in the US.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Well....i dont think its hardware might be software because when i initially upgraded the phone to iOS 5.0.1 everything was working fine. I was able to join my wifi network at home. It was only after the jailbreak I cant get back to factory defaults or Factory OS. Even if i create a custom Firmware with snowbreeze or any other pwnage software it does the same thing. and the phones tells me this device needs an Restore when Im at the springboard.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When wifi and everything else you mentioned sometimes works and sometimes is completely dead is usually a hardware defect.
    When wifi, Bluetooth and the baseband is completely missing then it's not a software issue.
    Just letting you know, probably not what you want to hear but it's not gonna magically fix itself with software.
    If a dfu restore and regural restore doesn't work then no jb or custom ipsw will fix your hardware problems.

7. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice. I just tried to reload software using pwnage 5.0.1 Only thing is I cant get past the initial set up.I choose language, enable location and then the next screen it says connect to itunes. When I do that it just hangs. I guess this is my last effort.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Try another computer with itunes

10. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

I did that and was successful twice and then i procceded to jailbreak again. Each time I jailbreak the wifi and bluetooth goes away (greyed out). I ran out of options for different computers. That is what made me believe that this is a software issue. But like others said I can be wrong as well. So far Restored on 4 different computers. 2 were successful and now neither work. Each time it gets to the point that the restore process gets to "restoring firmware" it fails with that error.

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Have you tried putting it in pwned-DFU restore in itunes?

And maybe just a tetehered boot?

12. iToonz, Feb 12, 2012

iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I tried a pwned-DFU restore with iTunes stock software and get the (-1) error code. But when I do a custom restore i can get to the springboard but after a while the phone shows this message. It says 'Restore Needed' Sorry if its reveresed. I will try to take a better picture. Also on both of the successful restores from iTunes "wifi and Bluetooth' worked.

[​IMG]

13. TriJetHero, Feb 12, 2012

TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

What baseband does it give?

the -1 error is baseband related, thats also probably why a custom restore works, that doesn't updated the baseband.

You can also connevt to TinyUmbrella, it will give you the Baseband as well.
    Also you can see if you have any blobs for lower firmware to see if you can restore to a lower version.

14. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea. I forgot. Cant remember I know i wrote it down before i jailbreaked and it was compatible. What do you suggest?

I have no idea. I forgot. Cant remember I know i wrote it down before i jailbreaked and it was compatible. What do you suggest?
    I have Tinyumbrella and noticed that there is a upgrade baseband option there but did not bother using it because i dont know how.

Dont have any blobs either. The phone was in recovery when i got it.

15. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Connect phone and startup TU, it should give you current firmware and BB, also it should show any blobs if available.

Only BB 1.59.0 can be software unlocked.

16. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Only my old 3G is showing up. Phone only comes up in recovery. I am able to see serial number and thats it. Iphone comes up as a long sting of numbers. e.g 123343545646

17. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

This is as far as I can go when I use redsnow to jailbreak. But if I use Pwnage I can get to spring board with no wifi option.

[​IMG]

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You might have bought a phone that has been IMEI blacklisted

19. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Could you describe exactly the steps you take when using redsn0w.

Lets see if somewhere the process goes wrong.

Also donwload a fresh copy of 5.01 IPSW and make a custom firmware with redsn0w, there have been know to be problems with the latetst pwnage.

20. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

First off i hit the jailbreak button in redsn0w, I then put the phone in pwand DFU mode. It then runs through some steps and then it comes to a screen where i can select Cydia, Gestures diactivate and another option. I then hit next. I see the HD on my iPhone and then the jailbreak starts, a bunch of code is flashed and then I see the pinapple. All seems to be fine. I go through the initial setup on the phone and when I dont have the option to configure wifi during this I know before hand that the wifi option is probably greyed out. Could the IMEI be black listed as described above? If so, how could I then have two successful factory restores? I know one thing, I f I ever get it back to factory I'm not gonna jailbreak it till the next iOS update rolls out.

Do you know about any good sources to get the IPSW?

21. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

IPSW
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Try making a new custom firmware.
    In the general tab in TU it should give the phone info, including the BB.
    Also in settings/general/info the baseband shows up at the bottom as modemversion
    It certainly looks like a BB problem.

22. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

The only number that comes up is the ECID number in the general tab. Im trying to drainl power from the phone completely. Under both instances of the successful restore I noticed that The phone was completely dead. might work again. Might not. Im starting to look for a new logic board. But thats last resort. Im downloading the IPSW now.

23. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

Resolved

Guys I dont know what happened but I waited 2 days before I attempted another factory restore and guess what it worked! I also used a different computer. Thats weird though. Could it be that You have to wait a few days before you try to install?

24. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

nope, its the other computer.

25. iToonz thread starter macrumors member

What is it with trying on different computers? Whats different/special? Different apple account?

Thats strange.