Iphone 4 US to UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y, Jul 12, 2010.

1. C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y macrumors newbie

This might of been asked before but if i buy the new iphone 4 in america on pay as you go will it work in the Uk??

2. cdebnil macrumors regular

Not 100% sure, but since it's locked to ATT in the U.S. I'm guessing no.

3. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Sorry, no.

You have to sign up to a contract as the US don't sell Sim free iPhone 4's

4. Vandertramp macrumors newbie

It will be locked to ATT, but if you going near the US-Canada border you can always jump over and pick up a factory unlocked iPhone. You will be paying the full price for it though, buying it in the UK may be easier.

5. Al3x87 macrumors member

why don't you try to unlock it? i think is very simple. i have unlocked mine in ~ 10 minutes

6. JorjLim macrumors newbie

why not buy a PAYG one in the uk

Why not just buy an payg one in the UK!?

7. erikabella24 macrumors newbie

Is iphone 4 bought in france factory unlocked ?

Hi peep, my iphone is working with any sim card and i didnt notice any cydia app on it or anything that might have unlocked it. i would like to upgrade as i did with my ipad 3g, and it works perfectly with any sim cos it was factory unlocked. i do not know about my iphone 4. it was bought in france. will it be a factory ulocked? will it be alright for me to upgrade without messing up with my phone cos thats the only working phone i have now, i dont want anything to tamper with it being locked again. thanks

8. Al3x87 macrumors member

If there is no cydia app there, it it factory unlocked. there is no problem to update it.

9. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Courtney

You would need to unlock it - it is not that hard - try the IClarified site.

Once in the UK you can get a PAYG SIM for the carriers there, the O2 Simplicity Plan is pretty good and for around 10-15GBP you get some 100 minutes and 500Mb of data.

10. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

It sure will work in the UK with an AT&T SIM, but not with a UK Carrier SIM.

NOT TRUE. Any newly purchased iPhone 4 will come with iOS 4.1 or 4.2 installed and currently there are no unlocks available for either of these iOS versions.

Like others have suggested, the best option would be to buy a factory unlocked phone from Canada or where ever and use it in the UK with a UK SIM.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The saving would only be about £50 over UK prices if you go down the Canadian route (and possibly less depending on where in Canada you buy the phone).

IMO that's not worth it.

It certainly isn't worth buying a US phone.

It really only makes sense buying a phone from a different country if you can't get an unlocked phone in your country.

12. dylanursula macrumors 6502

MartianSoldier... thanks for correcting me on it.

Courtney - the UK phone market is far more competitive than ours in the US, if it is an option getting one there I am sure you can score a deal at either CPW, Dixons Mobile, Currys etc...

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I love how people don't look at dates on posts. People are replying to the OP on a thread that was started over 5 months ago.