iPhone 4 usage/standby times the same // warranty questions after ebay purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by willryan42, Jan 11, 2011.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

Hi all! I just upgraded from my 3g to a 4 that I bought off ebay, and while I'm still waiting for the unlock, I've of course been playing around with it.

The biggest thing I've noticed is the battery life is not what I expected at all. I heard the 4 had great battery life, but I'm not seeing it. I restored my phone as new, so I know it isn't an issue with restoring a backup. I know my way around the iOS interface, and have changed/disabled some key power draining features, but I still get crappy battery life. After exiting everything in the multitasking bar, brightness at 50%, etc., my phone loses about 5% every hour while in standby! Meaning that I lock the screen, don't touch it for a while, and it somehow drops about that much hourly! I've checked processes in sbsettings and sure enough the only things running are phone app and mail app. The only conflicting process i can think of that'd be running is mail, which i have set to fetch every 15 minutes, but that definitely doesn't explain this poor of battery life.

After more investigation, my usage and standby times are almost the same, leading me to believe something is constantly running. Could it be wifi? I always thought that the iphone doesn't stay connected to a network when it's locked (in standby), but I don't know what else it could be!

Also (to avoid making another thread), as i mentioned, I purchased this phone off ebay. I entered the serial number into apple's new "my profile" section, and 'registered' it under my apple id. It says it's under warranty until next october (2011). How would I go about getting a replacement if I ever needed it? I feel like I would need proof of purchase or something, or do I just tell them that I bought it off ebay?

Phew... sorry for the novel-length post, but hopefully someone can help me out here! Thanks guys for your assistance, I really do appreciate it!

2. felch macrumors member

If wifi is on your phone will continue to scan for wifi networks, so yes having it on and not being connected will drain your battery. I wouldnt bother with Fetch/Push email as it never seems to work (Atleast with Gmail and Exchange in my experience).

3. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Push email has also never worked for me (using my gmail accounts), but fetch works alright.

After turning wifi off and keeping the phone in standby, the battery barely budged after a couple hours. This makes me think that wifi is still being used while it's in standby. Is this normal? I was always under the impression that if your phone is locked, wifi isn't used whether or not there's a "remembered" network available.

4. TEHi macrumors regular

Try this:

1. Close all apps
    2. Disable notifications, localization, mail accounts, or everything.
    3. Hard Reboot (not turn off/on) phone
    4. Enable airplane mode
    5. Fully charge the phone, then go into standy, and wait.

If it drops anything within the first two hours, you may got a defective phone.
    I did this test with mine and it lasted about 8 hours before dropping to 99%.

5. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

good idea TEHi, I'll check that one out.

after more research, i've discovered apple's new 4.0 feature "persistent wifi." doesn't make sense why one would need that if you have a data plan, so i found the plist file where the string resided and deleted it. now when i lock my phone wifi is disconnected. it's only been a little while since i've done that, but my battery hasn't gone down whatsoever. hopefully i don't experience any side effects for disabling it though!

6. Antirust macrumors newbie

"find my iPhone

Well the first couple of days i had my iphone 4, i were amazed by the battery. Then out of the blue (i thought) it started draining the battery. I fully charged it, went to bed, woke up 8 hours later and found the battery at 62 percent or so. For comparison, my girlfriend charged hers (3gs) to 90% the same time as i, and it was on 82 that morning. I had no wifi on or anything that would drain, so it bugged me for some days. I could also see that standby time and usage time were exactly the same. But then! :D i figured that the app "find my iphone" only would be useful if it was active always, so i stopped the app, and boom; usage and standby didn't follow any longer and my battery life went back to normal! Wee!

Hope this can help someone else than me!

7. ilikepielikei macrumors newbie

location services loves to rape your battery life with no mercy.