iPhone 4 use in vehicle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshrmac, Dec 29, 2010.

1. joshrmac macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4. I just got a JVC head unit for my truck. The sound quality is much better when I use the USB connection, verses the head phone jack. The problem is that I can not control my iPod on my iPhone from my phone, I have to use the HU to scroll through the iPod. Is there an app or device that will allow me to still use the iPhone to change songs, or am I stuck using the HU? Thanks!

2. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

It depends on the HU. Check the HU owners manual. I have a Pioneer DEH-P6100BT and it has the option to switch control between the HU and iPod/iPhone.

3. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

New(er) Sonys allow this as well. I believe the option has something to do with "passenger mode" or along those lines, whereas a "passenger" can fiddle with the iPod/iPhone itself instead of using the head unit.

4. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I had a similar situation. My car has a iPod connector for the stereo, but it won't allow me to control the iPod from the phone, and, in fact, it won't even display the iPod app when it's connected. Instead, I use the Griffin Autopilot. It connects to the Aux port on the stereo through the USB dock on the phone. I prefer this method, even though there's more wires cluttering up the car.