iPhone 4 Users Buying an iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I am an iPhone 4 user but like to stay up to date with the iPhone as many of the new features are useful to me and I have the money to do so, so why not upgrade.

One thing I am not sure of is the 2 year contract with AT&T. Can I still stay on the contract and move the service from my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5, making the iPhone 4 have no service?

I would like to know how everyone does it that upgrades to every new iPhone generation.

Thanks.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There would be no problems just call your cell phone provider and they will sort it out, they could proberly get the iPhone 5 working and iPhone 4 disconected in store.

3. LouieSamman, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011

LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Thanks! When the iPhone 5 is available I will most likely buy it from an AT&T store just to tell them what I want to do. Apple employes have no control of doing that obviously and would just redirect me to a local AT&T store.

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You can check yout Att account to see if you are eligible for an upgrade. Att might have moved up your upgrade date. They did with me so I'm getting the iPhone 5 and selling my iPhone 4.

you do know if you do get the iPhone 5 you will be on another two year contract right?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088906&highlight=

5. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

No I did not know of that. Well I can go along with the two year contract and if I really want to cancel when still in the contract I will pay the big cancellation fee. No big deal.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You will only go on a contract if you get the discounted subsidy/upgrade pricing if you pay full price ($600/$700 I think) you will not get another contract.

7. tekksan macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 4 on launch day next year and ATT says I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Feb 2012. How much will have I have to pay if I wanted to upgrade to iPhone 5 this summer if I agree to extend my contract out 2 more years? Any idea?

8. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Apple can most definitely take care of it for you.

Subsidized + $200

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? That sounds like overkill. I'm pretty sure the OP can handle a paperclip.

Just take out your SIM card and put it in the new phone. Then sync it with your iTunes and restore from the backup of your last phone.

Sim Card Removal:
    http://www.technixupdate.com/change-put-sim-card-in-iphone-4/

10. tekksan macrumors regular

So basically, the same as what the ETF fees would be for me plus the cost of the new phone/contract.... hmmm....

11. ozred macrumors 6502

$499.58 exactly.

12. ScubaSteve57 macrumors newbie

I'll endup getting the Iphone 5 i'm sure because apple products have such a good retail value that if I sell my phone I should be able to easily get 300 for it no jail broken and 400 jail broken for someone.. So I wouldn't see why not. Might as well keep upwith techonology you know, and my 1 year warrenty lol.

13. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

I'm skipping the 5 and getting the iPhone 6. Even numbered revisions of Apple products always fare better in terms of features and reliability. I bought a viPhone 4 earlier this month and eligible to upgrade next year.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Either u can uprgade if they say u can, or if another line that has an uprgade u can technically use that

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Yep, that's my upgrade cost as of now too. Hopefully, it will drop come June because I'm diving in either way...

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

My buddy always buys the new one.

Thankfully i skipped the 3GS, and iPhone 4, and will definitely be getting the iPhone 5.
    I would've kept on skipping until my iPhone 3G became really slow, but that came sooner than i thought because i downloaded iOS 4.
    Anyway, the next iPhone will content me, and i don't think i'll be getting an iPhone for a while after that.

17. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

People are saying the 6th generation is going to have a redesign. The big update for the iPhone 5 is going to be a 4" screen just to stay on par with the other 4" screen smart phones.

6th generation is the big one.

18. ozred macrumors 6502

I agree.

In addition I've learned that Apple sent it's antenna engineers back to MIT to learn:

1) What an antenna is
    2) How to design one
    3) How to convince Jobs that iPhones are called phones for a reason.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

One reason to wait for iPhone 6 and skip the 5th generation - LTE.

2011 isn't really a year to upgrade. More like pit stop. A 4 inch screen? Welcome to 2009, Apple. HTC Androids has been the one pushing for the trend of bigger screens = better. In a way, Apple is now following trends to catch up.

HTC Merge is a phone with CDMA & GSM radios. This year will probably be the only year iPhone has two different versions of the same phone. By the time LTE is deployed, the Verizon vs AT&T talk will die out. The first "global" iPhone is next year.

If you get the 5th gen, you are not future-proofing for true 4G that will cater to all carriers. Short-sighted purchase.

20. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll buy iPhone 5 6,7,8 etc. I got the money, why not? Nothing short sighted in my view.

21. Refrainer macrumors newbie

To those that say wait for iPhone 6, what big advances are you expecting which will be missing from iPhone 5?

22. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I'll upgrade as long as Rogers lets me do a Hardware Upgrade and Apple doesn't completely **** the bed.

If not, I'll wait til my HUP date.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

How about those starving children in Africa?!

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They have my sympathies and I donate to them as well.

25. rovex macrumors 65816

- Super AMOLED retina display

- 2GB of RAM

- Quad core CPU and GPU

- 12mp camera with 1080p video

- HD FaceTime camera (720p)

This might be a bit too hopeful, but regardless I'm sticking with the 4 and upgrading to the 6, because firstly I will be impressed with the huge speed difference from the 4; but also a super AMOLED retina display which anyone would die for.