iPhone 4 Verizon use in Thailand?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lrittz, Apr 10, 2012.

1. lrittz macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Didn't realize iPhone 4 Verizon doesn't have a removable sim card like it's ATT brother...

Plan to go to Thailand, and wanted to jailbreak and buy a SIM at airport to use phone/text/apps regularly...

Am I at a loss and can't use my iPhone 4 Verizon at all in Thailand? Some website list Bangkok as CDMA capable, many older sites say its GSM.. can I do anything to use my apps and phone in Thailand?

Thanks much..

----------

PS any suggestions on doing anything besides turning off roaming in Thailand??

I'd hate to be shocked by a bill of $10k or so like those newstories since I left my iPhone open in my pocket without realizing it was receiving email, or using international network when idle. Many thanks again.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The CDMA iphone 4 doesnt have a sim slot at all so I dont know how you think you can JB and unlock it and buy a sim there. You have nowhere to stick it:)
    Call up Verizon and they will tell you if they have a partner network there that your cdma phone will roam on. But chances are its going to cost you an arm and a leg so you'd be better off buying a local cheap flip phone with prepaid minutes there to use for the trip.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use it with WiFi only.

4. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ill probly use that in the hotel while there...

im such a noob, will Verizon charge me thousands for using wiFi while overseas or is that only if i use roaming?

how do I turn off roaming on a Verizon iPhone 4, all the tutorials are for ATT phones..

do I need to do anything with verizon (ie call them to stop service) to ensure I dont rack up bill$$ unintentionally while leaving my iPhone open in Thailand? Thanks

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Verizon will only be able to charge you for roaming.