iPhone 4 (Version 5.1) Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by w0z, Mar 28, 2012.

1. w0z, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

w0z macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors Members,

So i have done some reading and i am thinking about jailbreaking my iphone 4. From what I read there is no iphone 4 5.1 untethered jailbreak but there is a tethered version.

My question to the forum is, is the tethered version of the jailbreak worth the headache of having to connect my iphone to a computer everytime i want to reboot it?

I believe it is, but i have never jailbroke a phone before so i would like some people to chime in that have.

Thanks
    w0z:apple:

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That is a question only you can answer based on your lifestyle.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've never tried a tethered jailbreak but I rarely, if ever, have my phones battery die on me. I occasionally have to reboot for some jailbreak apps and whenever I do my laptop is usually with me so if a tethered jailbreak was my only option I'd give it a go. Worst case scenario is if you don't like it then just restore.

4. w0z thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have to agree with you. I think i will give it a go.

My only question that i have before I do is about the restore part.

So i have iCloud enabled on my iphone. Plus I plan to do a manually backup via iTunes and then move it to my backup drive for safe keeping.

My question is once i jailbreak the phone. iCloud does automatic backups. If the phone does a backup while the phone is jailbroken, if i go to restore it from iCloud will it restore it with the jailbroken image back on it?

Thanks for your help
    w0z

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm not familiar with how iCloud backups work but I know that when you backup to iTunes some files from the jailbreak will be included in the backup so you are best off making note of when you did the last backup before jealbreaking. That way you will definitely not have any jailbreak files in the backup and you won't have to set up the phone as new when you restore.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted

You can always try it if you don't like it restore.

7. w0z thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, all i really care about is not losing my contacts. other then that i can live with installed my apps and such... if something went wrong

8. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

I don't believe the difference between 5.0.1 and 5.1 is worth the trouble...

9. chevy57 macrumors regular

Untethered iOS 5.1 w/redsn0w for iPhone 4 will be coming soon??? Untethered is easy to install than tethered and semi-tethered.