iPhone 4 (Very) Noisy Camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thisislev, Oct 4, 2010.

1. thisislev macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased my iPhone last week but have noticed extremely grainy photos in good lighting, when viewing the photos while I'm just barely zoomed in, in Preview. Is this a common issue or should I set up an appointment at the Genius Bar? (Photo Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisislev/5052044905/ )

2. Resist macrumors 68030

3. thisislev thread starter macrumors newbie

Zoom

You'll have to zoom in a little bit. I'm not witnessing these issues when I look at photos by other people.

4. thisislev thread starter macrumors newbie

Refurb Unit, Even Worse

Yesterday I got a replacement due to a weird tint showing up in photos and have noticed that the problem is even worse: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisislev/5063334229/ Should I try for another one (new, not refurb) or deal with it?

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Get a new one. Its not acceptable to have issues after having it replaced.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

That second photo looks like it was shot in the dark. Of course there's going to be noise. It's not a Nikon D3s.

7. thisislev thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone

The photo was in fact shot in the dark but, compared with my friend's iPhone 4 and my old 3G, the grain amount is absurd.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It appears like you're trying to take a bad photo. If you try, of course you'll succeed.
    Why don't you try and take some good shots instead? You might find that you're overreacting and the camera is actually quite nice. Over the course of the next day or so, try to take some nice pictures - post here what you come up with. Also, please be honest - don't add/remove pictures to help or hurt your story.

9. thisislev thread starter macrumors newbie

Took your advice

I took your advice and tried to take some good photos. I've created a set on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisislev/sets/72157625006065757/ One thing that I have noticed is that photos look much better on the phone than when transferred to a computer. (I'll try to add some more photos in broad daylight)

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

See? Those pictures actually look fairly nice - perfectly acceptable. I'm willing to bet that pictures taken outdoors or in moderate light will also look nice, if not even better.

You have to remember that the iPhone camera isn't a dedicated camera - it lacks a lot of the functionality and technology that point-and-shoot and SLR cameras have. The iPhone is kind of like a Corvette - a very nice (and well-performing) sports car, but there's still no way that it will outperform a Bugatti Veyron or a McLaren F1.

11. KzR macrumors newbie

I've been taking indoor and outdoor pictures with iPhone 4, and I can conclude that it doesn't take indoor pictures well, probably due to the lack of light. The output picture is very noisy as you describe. Not sure if it's a software issue, or just the iP4's poor camera.

It looks like you're experiencing issue of a blue tint appearing in pictures with white background. I also experience it. I tried swapping for new sets, but to no avail. I hope it's a software issue, else there'll probably be no way to fix it.

Outdoor pictures are alright though.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

For a phone camera, the iPhone 4 takes great pictures in my experience. If you are experiencing lots of noises, go to the Genius Bar. I am not seeing it in your picture either, but have them run some tests.

13. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I'm not seeing something significantly wrong with your pics. There's noise, sure..

But when you say it looks better on the phone, than when you view it on the computer - I assume you're zoomed in just as much on both?

And if you are uploading your photos to the flickr page from your phone, have you checked which settings are used?