iPhone 4 very slow 3G download speed (0.3 Mbps)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LMD75, Oct 6, 2010.

1. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Just got a iPhone 4 32GB which was preinstalled with OS 4.1

I have full signal bars on 3G but despite this I am getting between 0.3 - 0.7 Mbps. This makes it totally useless for VOIP applications such as Skype which is the main reason for purchase.

I get the same results whether I am in or outdoors and in a different part of the city.

Location is Helsinki, Finland on the Sonera network. I have been gathering data using speedtest.net and Skype always shows (low bandwidth messages).

When connected to my router via wi-fi I get just under 30Mbps and voice works perfectly via Skype. When connected via 3G, I can hear the other person clearly but they cannot hear me. Normal voice calls work flawlessly.

I am on an 1GB data max speed package which is capped to 0.64mbps when the 1GB allowance is exceeded. I have not exceeded the allowance.

Are there any known issues with this problem or is it the provider? I have emailed the network provider /carrier for support.

Switching off wi-fi, bluetooth has not improved the performance.

Many thanks.

2. madKIR macrumors 6502

My first iPhone 4 had the same problem: the download speed was way too slow. I had it swapped due to this very issue.
    Restore it, do a hard reset. If it doesn't help, go to an Apple store and exchange it.

3. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks MadKIR

The problem was with my network. Today I have been getting 1.5Mbps minimum, averaging 2Mbps and 4Mbps maximum.