Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is the iPhone 4 Vibrator?

• Stronger then previous iPhone

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • The same as previous iPhone

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Weaker then previous iPhone

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Stronger then previous phone (non-iPhone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The same as previous phone (non-iPhone)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weaker then previous phone (non-iPhone)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Does anybody else think the iPhone 4 vibration completely blows? I can have it in my pocket and barely feel it or have it on a microfiber on my desk and barely hear it. Anybody else feel my pain?

Also can we please get different vibrations for different kinds of messages? My phone is always on silent and I would like to know if it is a text or email without taking it out of my pocket.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Not good news to hear for me. The vibration on my 3G sucks. I'll pull it out of my pocket and see I have a missed call, voice mail and txt, and I never felt a thing. Same with the ringtone. Can have it full blast, and never hear it, and I'm definitely not hard of hearing either. Funny, I can always hear other iPhones ring, but mine.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
im the complete opposite....coming from my 3g i think the IP4 is much better...
along with the speaker phone and ringtone volume...

mdkrebs11

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I think it sucks too. I had a 3GS and the vibrate mode was fine - definitely noticeable in jeans/shorts. I noticed several times over the weekend that I had missed calls but never felt it vibrate. Didn't think much as I thought I could have had bad reception in the bar or something. But, after reading this post, I just called my number with my phone in my front jean pocket (sitting down). I have the Griffin Reveal case on it. I couldn't even feel it vibrate! Not at all. Had to put my had on my pocket to feel anything. Thought it might be the case so I took it out of the case and put it back in pocket. Same result. The vibrate is noticeably worse on this phone (at least on the one I have). That sucks.

Jetwash

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Yep, unfortunately I was hoping that would be an improvement with iPhone 4 & it's just as bad as my 3G. I've already missed a couple of calls while on vibrate. I might have to become one of those annoying people & turn my ringer on.

greenorblue

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
honestly, I take my phone out of my pocket to check if I missed anything almost compulsively every five minutes. to me, a phone vibration should be silent, or it kind of contradicts the idea of having your phone on vibrate in the first place (for me anyway). I could never stand my 3G and how obnoxiously loud the vibration was. If they made it a bit less powerful to counteract the noise the phone makes when it vibrates, then I'm all for it.

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I agree that the vibration shouldn't be loud, but you should at least be able to feel it. I put it on my end table which is glass and I can barely hear it vibrate against it.

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Agree. Vibration function is utterly useless. Cannot really switch to silent, might as well turn off the phone. 3Gs was definitely better in that regard. It is overall a great device, but the phone functions are still lacking even 3 years after the first release. I still prefer my old Windows mobile 6.1 device as a phone. everything else is superior on the iPhone.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I actually much prefer the iPhone 4's vibration compared to the 3GS. On my 3GS, whenever I ket it on silent and had it on my desk while at work or in a meeting whenever I received a message the single vibration is so intense it was loud enough to be a distraction to the room. Now, it vibrates in a way that doesn't create such a ruckus.

Holty123

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Crington UK
mine not bad
Would anyone like a flashing led/light on your iPhone to tell you of missed call,text,email?
or is that just to Motorola?

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
mine not bad
Would anyone like a flashing led/light on your iPhone to tell you of missed call,text,email?
or is that just to Motorola?

Coming from a blackberry, I really really miss that feature. A simple small LED would be great in the next iPhone.

cparktd

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Middle TN
10 years ago I had a phone with 3 levels of vibrate.

1) about like my iphone
2) usable / normal
3) Ok, pull your socks back up!

It was awesome, something for every taste, just as good in a busy, active, noisy environment like say, mowing your lawn) as in the board room.

I'm disappointed as well. I'm guessing Steve doesn't use vibrate LOL.

cparktd

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Middle TN
Strange, seems some think it's stronger and some weaker than their old iphone.

Maybe we need an opinion poll!!!

I think mine is a tad weaker than my 3G and it was too weak to be useful, I actually miss more calls than I catch, using vibrate. And vibrate is all that is allowed in my work environment. I carry in my rear pants pocket opposite my wallet, maybe my old arse is just numb!!!

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Mine is definitely weaker than on my 3GS. I thought it was broken at first.

I have like 5 issues with this phone, all DESIGN issues. Terrible.

Tony

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Does anybody else think the iPhone 4 vibration completely blows? I can have it in my pocket and barely feel it or have it on a microfiber on my desk and barely hear it. Anybody else feel my pain?

Also can we please get different vibrations for different kinds of messages? My phone is always on silent and I would like to know if it is a text or email without taking it out of my pocket.

Totally agree that a different number of vibrations for a text message from a specific person or for an email rather than a text message would be so great. And it'd be so easy for them to do. Why don't these things occur to them as well?

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I'm glad somebody else noticed this - you would think that when people put their phone on "silent" it should indeed be silent....However, I became quite used to the vibrate noise when I layed my 3G ontop of iPod sock on my desk - now i hear nothing on iPhone 4 so keep missing things!!

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
a simple fix is to get tighter jeans.

This is defiantly not the problem. My jeans may not be skin tight but they are probably slimmer them most peoples... lol

Strange, seems some think it's stronger and some weaker than their old iphone.

Maybe we need an opinion poll!!!

I think mine is a tad weaker than my 3G and it was too weak to be useful, I actually miss more calls than I catch, using vibrate. And vibrate is all that is allowed in my work environment. I carry in my rear pants pocket opposite my wallet, maybe my old arse is just numb!!!

Added poll.

Pretty much the only place I'm able to catch anything is in my car and that's only because the alerts come over the speakers. I understand that to get the phone really thin you can't have a gigantic motor inside but I mean come on... I would like to at least feel it.

EDIT: oops, then is supposed to be than in poll :S

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
the vibrate doesn't even work consistently on my phone, waiting for stock so i can get a replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.