Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I was like many of you. When I got my iPhone 4 I was very much impressed with the video (and picture) capablity of the phone. I thought maybe that I can use it more often when I don't want to carry around my Sony HD camcorder.

As a test, last weekend I went camping and armed myself only with the iPhone 4 for both pictures and video (normally I take along a Cannon digital camera and a Sony HD camcorder).

I took a lot of pictures and video in all sorts of lighting conditions.

When I got home and displayed everything on my 60" monitor, the shortfalls became evident. While most of the video looks decent, the color saturation was a bit overdone and the phone has a hard time with fast action. Also, its almost impossible to hold it completely still thus causing screen lag and sometimes tearing. Video looks great on small screens, but when blown up, forget it. If you want good video, a separate HD camcorder is still a better way to go (obviously). For me, some sort of digital image stabilization would go a long way to improving the video on the iPhone 4. Sure, digital stabalization would cost in overall video quality, but its a good tradeoff considerating shakey video is terrible to watch on big screens.

Pictures were another story. Most of the pictures look pretty darn good. Still not as good as a dedicated digital camera but under the right lighting conditions, its hard to tell the difference at times.

I know a lot of this is nothing new especially to forum members here, but I wanted to convey my hands on experiences. This was a really good test for me because I was able to compare how the iPhone 4 performs against my other dedicated equipment.

I know, its just a phone. Impressive to say the least but I think I will go back to using my other equipment for long term documenation of my vacations and events. The iPhone 4 is definitely great when in a pinch but can't recommend using it to capture memories for permanent archives.

With that said, I can't wait for what the future holds. Sony, Panasonic and other camera makers have got to be taking notice of what is happening. Portable devices are getting dangerously close to the quality of dedicated equipment. Hopefully the iPhone 4 has got them at least looking at better and more feature packed still and video cameras.

Abarth1200

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
With that said, I can't wait for what the future holds. Sony, Panasonic and other camera makers have got to be taking notice of what is happening. Portable devices are getting dangerously close to the quality of dedicated equipment. Hopefully the iPhone 4 has got them at least looking at better and more feature packed still and video cameras.

Thanks for sharing.

I especially liked the sentence above, I gets me excited to what the future may hole, one day our whole lives will be in some kind of portable device

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
My experiences and assessment jibe well with what you're saying.

I believe I read a reviewer somewhere that said pretty much the same thing as well. Whereas the i4 is a fairly impressive digital camera, it's only a really good phone video recorder. Which in itself is a pretty good place to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.