iPhone 4 Video is uploaded like a thin strip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawntkeating, Sep 14, 2010.

1. shawntkeating macrumors member

Hey iv seen videos online where the iPhone 4 filmed it that take up the whole video box. When ever I upload video, it just has a thin strip through the middle that his video. How do I get video's to play on youtube for example in a fullscreen perspective?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

are you recording the video in landscape or portrait mode. In portrait - you're only going to get a vertical screen that doesn't take nearly "full size" compared to something shot horizontal.

Common sense really...

3. ephailey macrumors member

I agree. That's your problem. Turn your iPhone sideways when taking video.

4. shawntkeating thread starter macrumors member

Yea it is common sense but why would anyone ever want to record in such a thin mode anyway? I would just rather it record the right way no matter what way I hold the phone.

5. randomerratum macrumors 6502

It's a question of aspect ratio. How do you fit a tall rectangle into a wide rectangular box? You can either stretch the image to be fat and fit, zoom in and loose the tops and bottoms, or add black bars to the sides.

The bars is the least intrusive way to matte the portrait shape of the video in without cropping the edges or distorting the image.... same concept for widescreen movies on standard definition TVs

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Right.. as I said - common sense :)

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I got nothing. I can't even fathom the stupidity of this idea.

8. azhava macrumors regular

Strangely enough, real cameras (both still and video cameras) do the exact same thing when you hold them sideways...they don't "automagically" adjust the aspect ratio either.