iPhone 4 - Video Out -AV Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Forestdeath, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Forestdeath macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I'm using the official Apple AV cable to output TV Shows (brought from iTunes) on my 32in TV and find that the video quailty is very very poor, Can anyone confirm if this is a limation of the iPhone?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Are you using the $29 Apple to VGA and then a VGA cable to your TV.

Are you using the $49 Apple to Composite which has Red & White Audio RCA and a Yellow Video RCA to Dock connector.

Or are you using the $49 Apple to Component which has Red & White Audio RCA and then Red, Green & Blue RCA Component Video connectors.

I have the latter of these and used it with both my iPhone and iPad on a 42" Samsung DLP and it looked great. Have not tried it with my 52" Samsung LCD as that has an Apple TV connected to it via HDMI. I bought the cable mainly for travel. But the picture looks good to me.

3. graygmc macrumors newbie

Have you tried it on an Iphone 4 yet? Some people were reporting problems when using ios4. Also do you think it outputs in 720p.

4. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the Apple Composite Cable, Would I be better off with the Component Cable? I'm not too sure what the difference is between them both?

graygmc - Do you have a link to the thread where this has been discussed?

Thanks

5. graygmc macrumors newbie

Reviews on the apple webiste were stating they had problems.

6. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I've been thinking of buying an AV cable, and I'm not sure, but I think the composite cable is standard definition and component is high def. Just make sure your tv has the orange/blue/green component inputs first.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Component should look better because it transmits the various parts of the video signal separately as opposed to combined like composite. It is what I use with my 40" Sharp LCD TV.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Bought the cable yesterday and tested it with the iPhone 4 and an iPad. I have the component that has separate R-G-B for the video rather than the older composite which just has Yellow. If your TV is widescreen it should have component inputs.

Neither the iPad or iPhone is cable of outputting 720p video. The max video out is 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL. But it looked quite good. My test was with the movie Snatch ripped using Handbrake on the Apple TV setting, anamorphic at 842x464. You can sync HD to an iPad, not sure about the iPhone 4, but I also played the new Star Trek movie on my TV, which I bought in HD from iTunes and it will downscale the video to 480. It still looked great. I would recommend getting the component cable.