iPhone 4 video output

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabianjj, Jun 12, 2010.

1. fabianjj macrumors 6502

Take a look at this page:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Notice that new iPhone is capable of recording HD video, it is also capable of HD playback as long as it is the one codec that it supports, but for video output it doesnt support the full resolution that can record by itself.

I know the only cables that are supported are component cables, but those should support 720p. I still find this strange

2. mbell75 macrumors 6502

It's not component cables, it's A/V cables which are RCA. They should have put an HDMI out

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

Why should they of done that? You can export vids off your phone then play them any where you want. No thanks on another "output" on the iPhone..... you want it to start looking ugly like the evo?

4. mbell75 macrumors 6502

How do you plan to get HD video off your phone and on to your TV? I love my Evo :)

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

How about a networked media center (appleTV) or a usb media player (WDTV). I would never use HDMI out on my iPhone, I want to USE my iphone...not set it next to the tv.

6. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean other people wouldn't. I definitely would.

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. Evo isn't ugly to me, and with an hdmi out port, seems more useful than a phone that doesn't have one. I was under the impression that is supposed to be function over form, especially for a phone. I could care less if my phone is the ugliest thing in the world just as long as it does what i need. Then again, I'm not a 13 year old girl who needs everything to be pretty for my friends.

8. army91c macrumors 6502a

LoL, are you sure about the 13 year old part? Hey, to each his own. IMHO the Evo is FUGLY as many people feel about the 4. Why can't you have function AND form? I know of several different ways I can watch an HD vid from my phone (as another poster pointed out) on my sweet LCD, don't need to plug my phone into the t.v. to make it happen. The kind of people that want HDMI output on their phone will def go the way of the Evo and I never said it wasn't a great platform. To me the plastic, the way the camera juts out, and the overall size makes it ugly. Again, to each his own.

9. pmz macrumors 68000

Well, if you look just a little closer, it says the iPhone 4 supports the same VGA adapter as the iPad, and will output at 1024 by 768.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I'm road-testing an EVO and it's not an ugly phone, in my opinion. However, the HD video ain't that great - often choppy and full of compression.

11. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I didn't say you couldn't find a way to watch it, just think it would be easier to just plug a cable into the side of the phone. They could have found a way to implement it into the phone, but it's not a make or break thing to me, although it would have been nice if it had it. Kinda like sat radio in a car, it's nice if it has it, but I'll still buy it if it doesn't. Yes, I'm sure I'm not 13.

12. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I never said that NO one would, all I was doing was giving examples of how you could get the media on the tv. A commenter above me literally asked as if it weren't possible "How do you expect to get the HD video off the phone and on the tv". I just know that I would never use a video output from a phone.

I don't necessarily think the EVO is ugly by any means, I have played with one...and simply don't want one. I wouldn't say anything overwhelmingly negative about any of the iPhone competitors. Anything negative I normally feel is towards the people who use the competition. For some reason most users seem to take the never ending smartphone debate personal. I'm just tired of hearing iPhone vs *****. If someone prefers something else...why doesn't that person just use what they like and move on!

13. mbell75 macrumors 6502

native HD video is huge, its going to be highly compressed on the iPhone as well. Apple will probably use MOV files and compress it with H.264 though, so it should look pretty decent. Have to see.

14. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I thought this statement in the Tech Specs section was interesting:

I assume that's the one used for the iPad. But would this allow a screen dump? Or is it the same old restricted video/photos only output? I've been sending Apple feedback over the last two years begging them to allow for full screen output so that I can use the iPhone as a presentation device.

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

It would be very unike apple to put an HDMI output on it... and I agree. A 30-pin to HDMI would be nice, but no more ports!!!

16. headphonesonly macrumors newbie

iOS 4 SDK allows apps to send video out. I doubt you'll be able to screen dump from the home screen, but if an app allows video output you will be able to show what is on the screen.

17. modul8tr macrumors regular

I not sure what hardware requirements there are for outputting full HD as opposed to simply playing it.

As far as cables you have 30 pin to component, VGA, and composite. An HDMI option will probably appear sooner rather than later. Perhaps with the headless iPhone sized version of Apple TV.

It should be mentioned that while HDMI is standard on newer flatscreens, not everyone has televisions or receivers with HDMI input. As far as digital, some people still have DVI. But most anyone with a DVD player or receiver has component.

Component cables work out well for me, as I have a variety of sets and not all have HDMI, but do have Component.

Netflix app and the iPod app output look great on my flatscreen.

18. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Actually he was correct in saying "should have". "Should of" doesn't mean anything. You're confusing it with the contraction of "should have", which is "should've". Sounds similar to "should of", which is why people make that mistake.

:)

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

At least the grammar police does their job systematically, digging up threads from their 3-month-old grave, even.

Cold Case - Macrumors