iPhone 4 Video Shooting on Vacation w/ Spare Laptop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tuta, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Tuta macrumors member

Tuta

My 'home base iTunes' for my iPhone 4 is my iMac at home. All my music, existing video, etc. are on here.

I am planning on bringing and shooting some video while on vacation. I only have the 16GB so I am thinking I will need to transfer a day's worth of video to a laptop I intend on bringing on the trip.

Will I be able to 'empty' the iPhone's daily videos to iTunes on this laptop without screwing up anything related to my home iMac/iTunes/iPhone setups?

Is there any additional steps I need to perform on the laptop before I go?

Thanks for your help/advice!!

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I know I have been able to plug in my iPhone and copy the videos I have taken straight from the phone as if it was removable storage. I opened it up through My Computer (PC) and copied them and pasted them to my desktop. Didn't even have to have iTunes open.

I have read on here that if the files are too large then it won't copy over but I haven't run into that yet, all mine have worked.

3. SpankWare macrumors regular

Same for me. I sync to one computer but regularly hook up and pull off images/video on another.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You don't even have to sync. Just use the built in "Image Capture" utility in OS X (Use spotlight to search) and copy your video clips to your drive. Then in the iPhone, just delete those videos and continue recording.

Make sure to take an external drive and back up your footage, though. You never know what might happen.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm guessing the spare laptop is windows, but any image capture software should work. Copy the video over to your hard drive and delete it from the phone, you should be all set, as long as your hard drive doesn't crash.

6. Tuta thread starter macrumors member

Tuta

The laptop is a WinXP machine.

iTunes is already installed.

I shot a little 30 second video clip and attempted to get at it through explorer. iTunes is set NOT to automatically sync, but when I connected iPhone, it fired up iTunes and there I sit.

How do I just grab the video off of the iPhone?

Thanks!

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

+1. yes, on a Mac. love using this utility over iPhoto to transfer.

8. Tuta thread starter macrumors member

Tuta

[solved]

here's to Windows! :rolleyes:

I read on another forum that you had to delete out of your camera roll ALL pictures that were not actually taken with your camera (i.e. web saves, screenshots). I deleted those and then hooked the iPhone backup to the PC.

iTunes again fired up, but so did the Windows Camera Wizard which allowed me to download the video!!

Thanks everyone!