iPhone 4 Video Zoom? Black Strips on Side?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'm sorry for being ignorant guys but I came from a 3G so I never had video and with the iPhone 4 I get video and along with it being in HD. So my question is when I'm taking a video I notice if I double click it zooms the screen out and it shows 2 vertical black strips on the sides when in portrait mode. I was just wondering what is the best way to take a video? I don't want any video to be zoomed in because it's digital zoom. Also my other question is does anyone else have the vertical strips or is it just me? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Best way is in landscape mode. Basically all hd is in wide screen, so if your shooting in portrait mode, the aspect ration is wrong for wide screen, so those black bars are inserted to fill in the gaps. But if you shoot in landscape, it already has the correct aspect ratio, so no gaps need to filled and no bars. Hope this helps.

3. specops macrumors regular

If you hold the phone in landscape it records 1280width x 720height(720p HD)
    If you hold the phone in portrait it records the same aspect ratio just rotated obviously, so 720x1280 instead.

as far as double clicking to zoom on the phone that does NOTHING but change the way it looks on the phone. It still records the full 1280x720 no matter what you do. Hope that helps

4. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

So the double click does nothing at all basically? I mean that's a good thing cuz I don't want to lose any definition because I want the highest quality video.

5. bhm123 macrumors newbie

720x1280

Hello,
    I was sent some video that is 720x1280 and I am trying to edit it using Final Cut Pro. I dont know what sequence setting to use for working with these clips. So I am assuming that this was taken from iphone 4 in portrait. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Brad

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

correct. all it does it allow you to see the centre of the video recording in more detail, or view the whole recording area