iphone 4 videos stuttery when watched on PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bina12834, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bina12834 macrumors regular

uploaded videos from my iphone 4 directly onto my mac via Image Capture. all the videos are perfect. transferred the videos to a jump drive and watched on a pc and they are stuttery. watched on 2 different pc's and got the same thing. watched the videos from the flash drive on my mac just to make sure it wasn't the flash drive, and everything is smooth. also a video i made with imovie on my phone plays perfectly on my mac, but is also stuttery my pc. quicktime on the PC's are up to date.

2. eurotechnik macrumors newbie

spec on those PCs can handle 720p playback...?

3. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Are you playing them right off the flash drive, or copying them over?

Are the PCs vid cards pretty good? Did you try in iTunes or vlc player?

4. Azk02 macrumors newbie

yea, specs of your pc's would be good to know.

Like videos is stuttery/tearing on my computer (Strange though since it can handle other 720p videos fine). But my laptop is perfectly fine.

5. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

both PCs are laptops....one i know cant handle 720p because its 5 years old and wasn't top of the line when it was new. the other i don't know the specific specs of but it has an hdmi port, so i figured that meant it could handle 720p. im guessing since my mac can play the videos fine it can handle 720p?

6. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

playing them directly off the flash drive.

ids wouldn't play in vlc player. didn't try directly in itunes.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

There are a lot of things that could be going on.

You need to figure out what codec the video is in (probably h.264 in a quicktime wrapper) and then you need to check if the computers you are playing them on have good codecs.

Like all apple software, quicktime runs like ass on PCs. Try using FFDShow codecs, or go into the VLC options to try to optimized the playback (google choppy video vlc).

Also, try real alternative media player classic.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Most recent Macs have video cards that are optimized to decode H.264. A lot of the processing work is given to the video card for that work.

It's very possible your PCs don't have such features. In that case the processor has to do all the work and it still takes a pretty beefy processor to decode 720p H.264 live. It's likely they just aren't up to the task.

This could also add to the problem.

9. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

tried playing the videos on my work pc (Dell Optiplex 780) and the videos were less stuttery, but still some. Moved the videos off the flash drive onto the computer and same result.

10. mitchtheriault macrumors newbie

if it's 720p h.264 then it takes a lot of work for your computer to play back, I learned that the hard way trying to edit h.264 in Final Cut in a 2.0ghz macbook.

11. bina12834 thread starter macrumors regular

so what should i do to watch the videos on computers that have trouble playing them?