iphone 4 videos to apple tv

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Jun 29, 2010.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

this might a silly question, but how do you get the iphone videos on apple tv??
    right now there sitting in my iphoto library , I right click find the file in the finder and drag to itunes!!!
    is there a better solution

and there not even syncing to my apple tv???
    any ideas??

says file type is not supported??? very strange

2. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

When you select the file, go under Advanced menu and click "create ipad or apple tv file" and it will convert to a format that will play on apple tv.

3. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I don't see any option for that. Ive just read on the apple.com forums that apple tv will not play videos from iPhone 4:confused:
    Apple tv is to outdated it seems. Anyone confirm this.

4. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

It's there, in iTunes, under the Advanced menu.

5. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

in this advanced menu???

Attached Files:

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The iPhone records in 720/30p. The apple tv can only handle 720/24p. The files need to be transcoded first.

I suggest using iMovie. In iMovie there will be an iPhoto tab that has all of your movies in there that you imported into iPhoto. From there you can make a project and share it with iTunes which will play on the apple Tv (Large-960x540).

7. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

No, not in the preferences. in the top menu bar!

8. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

got ya:eek: feel stupid now.
    posted this in the apple.com forum and one guy was saying create workflow in iphoto etc etc seemed alot of hard work, another said use imovie, this is much easier!!!
    thanks!!!

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

NP. I've done this and it preserves the 720p. Just converts to another format. You'll end up with two files in iTunes, just remove the original file after the conversion is done. Pretty simple.

10. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

yeah I can see that thanks, why are other people not using this simple fix too???
    my itunes is doomed, beachball when ever its doing hard work but that another story........:rolleyes:

11. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Guess no one realizes the conversion is already built in to iTunes.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The Movies you shoot on the iPhone are pure quicktime files for editing. They are not quite as large as DV tape files, but nonetheless are not mp4 or m4v Apple TV compatible files. You can:

1. File -> Export from iPhoto to the desktop. Open with Quicktime, and Share in Apple TV format. It will give you approx file sizes.

2. Drag into iTunes, convert using the Advanced convert for Apple TV and delete the original from iTunes.

3. Convert based on Apple TV settings in Handbrake, which may be faster and more precise than the Quicktime or iTunes conversions.

I am not sure if there is a Share, Apple TV function built into iPhoto.

4. You could also launch iMovie on your Mac and there is a Share function there you could use for the project or whatnot that will make an Apple TV version.

When you are done, just drag into iTunes. If you really want to go further and plan to keep the files in iTunes and build a library of them, use MetaX to tag them and I prefer to call them TV shows, so I can break them down by year as Seasons. It really helps for sorting.

13. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Honestly, I was shocked when I dragged my short test video from iPhoto into iTunes, then synced it with appletv, and it wouldn't appear for me. I got no errors or anything, it just didn't show up when browsing through my movies.

Like the second poster informed, you need to transcode it. I used handbrake, just simply converted it using the appletv setting, then used this output file and dragged it into iTunes. Then it appeared on my appletv. A pain but maybe it's a quicker/simpler way than using iMovie (admittedly I didn't try using iMovie so I'm not saying it's better, just another way to get that video there)

Good luck.

14. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

or as Ive just learned select the video in itunes and select advanced> create ipad or apple tv version!

been trying this out and itunes is reducing the file size by round about a third!

so your not getting the full res video, apple tv needs a total revamp!!

15. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Try using Handbreak to convert to Apple TV format. With that, you can set the bitrate to maintain as much of the resolution as you want. iTunes is a quick fix.

16. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

will do thanks madness that the apple tv has not been updated for this!!!!!!
    or is it the hardware????

17. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

no idea

18. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

It's the hardware. The best that Apple TV can do is 720p @ 24 frames per second with 5 Mbps data rate. The video from iPhone 4 is 720p @ 30 FPS and iTunes reported the bitrate to be 10.3 Mbps. I did the conversion to Apple TV format in iTunes and ended up with 540p @ 3.8 Mbps. It still looked OK, but it's definitely not as good as the original.

19. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Great topic. Was wondering about this the other day so OP has done me a Favour asking.

I guess iTunes / Apple TV need to make a home video category for home videos. That would be really cool

20. yancey47 macrumors regular

Does the AppleTV recognize the video as HD? Does it have the "HD" logo next to it?

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yup, I use HB with the Apple TV setting, set the FPS to 24 and preserve the original 720p. Drops the bitrate to 7.x Mbps. Looked fantastic on a 52" Samsung LCD.

But the iTunes easy convert came out at 540 at 30 FPS and a bitrate of 4.0 Mbps. It too looked very very good. Don't know that I really saw a difference. This was simply an outdoor 69 second test video I shot.

22. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

23. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I did the iphoto -> imovie -> itunes method (as mentioned in a previous post) on my videos that I recorded. Apple TV indeed ads the HD icon to those videos.

Maybe one days the Apple TV will get a hardware upgrade so we don't have to bother with this conversion mess. Kind of sucks that a phone can record higher video quality than what is compatible with a dedicated media streamer/player.

They look pretty good too (I have a 42" plasma and connected via HDMI).

24. zedsdead macrumors 68040

It's pathetic that the Apple TV cannot handle 720/30p. Hopefully all these rumors are true about a new version.

Also, iMovie needs an update so it can see the iPhone. There should be no reason to be forced to bring the movies into iPhoto first.