iPhone 4 - volume bar missing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by borostef, Jun 25, 2012.

1. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

Two days ago, out of the blue, my iPhone 4 stopped reproducing any sounds over built in speakers, except the ringtone and alarm and the volume bar is missing in the music and video apps. If I plug in my headphones everything is back to normal, sound goes out to the headphones and the volume bar reappears, when I plug them out volume bar disappears again.
    As I said ringing, alarm and speakerphone are all working, I have tried cleaning the dock connector and the headphones connector and got no result.
    Any ideas?
    I am running iOS 5.1.1.

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

have you tried rebooting the phone? (push and hold home button and power button until apple logo pops up on the screen)

3. borostef thread starter macrumors 6502

borostef

Yes, I have tried rebooting couple of times, even did the "reset all settings" from the settings menu... No luck :(

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. borostef thread starter macrumors 6502

borostef

No, it is not jailbroken...
    A DFU restore? You lost me there... How do I do that?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

DFU Restore - iClarified

7. borostef thread starter macrumors 6502

borostef

Thank you, I will try that, nothing else I could do? I googled DFU restore and got a bunch of results like "Got stuck in DFU mode"... Seems tricky :confused:

8. borostef thread starter macrumors 6502

borostef

Problem solved... It was faulty dock connector. Replaced it today, and all is well:D

9. thomasanderson macrumors member

Op I am having the exact same issue today, exactly the way you described it. Did you have to take your iphone to an Apple store to have the dock connector replaced? And did they make you set up an appointment(I hate that, even if the store is half empty and the genius bar guys are sitting around, Im told I need an appt)?

10. borostef thread starter macrumors 6502

borostef

We don't have Apple stores in my part of the world, sorry to say:(
    We only have "authorized resellers"... I took it to their service provider and they replaced it within thirty minutes.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

11. thomasanderson macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate it. Hey at least I know its fixable.

12. iTunen macrumors newbie

That happened once with my iPhone. I turned the phone off (power down), then blew some compressed air into the headphone receptacle & after that plugged a headphone jack repeatedly in & out of the phone & the problem stopped. Also turned off iTunes app & make sure it is not still on in multi-tasking.

Good luck.

13. vishi macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 or 4S volume bar disapper & music stops automatically

This is a hardware issue. Apple repair centre agents replaced the charging dock of my 4S and now music is working perfectly. this is not a software problem.