Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hi!

Yesterday my up volume key got stuck somehow. It won't click and you have to push very hard in order for the volume rocker to register. I got this phone in early March after my original iPhone 4 was replaced. I no longer have AppleCare because my year was up in March, but I'm assuming I still have the additional 90 days left of the replacement iphone warranty. My question is: Is there a way I can fix the volume rocker without opening the iphone? And if not, is there a high possibility that Apple will replace or fix my iPhone because of this defect? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
In short, take it back in to Apple. You have a 90 day warranty on the replacement even if your original warranty has expired.

Most likely, the little plastic/ dot that is between the rear of the button and the flex cable has slipped loose. You could fix it yourself if you didn't want to get a replacement for some reason, but if it's a covered phone why would you bother? You'd need to remove the back plate and logic board to get to it. Apple should replace it with no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.